Silver Leghorn

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chik whisper, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Chik whisper

Chik whisper New Egg

Nov 14, 2014
    [​IMG]

Just picked up a new addition from a friend who was unable to keep him. He is beautiful! However, any tips to introducing to the other hens and our mean rooster? They are all barred rocks. We have him separated right now. I have also tried to look up info about the breed but maybe I am searching wrong. [​IMG]. Any info from anyone would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    How many hens do you have? The recommended ration of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Too many roosters will become very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. If you don't have enough hens, you might want to consider keeping the new rooster and getting rid of the mean one as you don't want to breed aggression into your flock. If you are going to keep the rooster, there's a good article at http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens on how to introduce a new chicken into the flock. Good luck with the new rooster.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If you want information on the breed just look up Leghorn. Introducing a mature male to a flock that already has a rooster can be problematical, maybe even impossible. You may have to choose between the 2. My first question is why on earth are you keeping the barred Rock rooster if he is mean?

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    "Silver" is just a descriptor - you can read up on this bird by getting familiar with information about leghorns. Given the issue of the barred rock's temperament, I would be inclined to rid myself of him and keep this leghorn to see what his temperament is.

5. Chik whisper

Chik whisper New Egg

Nov 14, 2014
    Thank you, I will check that out. We have 18 barred rocks and 2 buff brahma and 2 red sex links. We are good there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by