Silver Penciled Rock cockerels - help me choose between these 2

Blue cockerel or purple one?

• Blue

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Purple

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • I have a much nicer type (and VERY LARGE) male that I'm willing to ship to you. [ Provide user name

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Boy oh boy those are about the finest penciled rocks I've seen in either silver penciled or partridge. 5 Years ago I looked and looked for partridge and silver penciled. I ended up with some Horstman Partridge and a strain of SPR out of NC. The Partridge have been a 4 year work in progress and the silver penciled were scraped because they were very very small. I would love to get a line of SPR to compliment my Partridge. If there is a way to get this line in the US put me on the list.

Oh, lovely pics - thanks for posting! It's been unseasonably cold here, too. My birds are mostly indoors, coming out just long enough to eat a bit (I leave their food outdoors to force them out of the coop for at least a few minutes a day). All of my single-comb males have frostbitten combs; I've tried everything I've seen written about how to avoid it, nothing works. At least not in my area! it may be cold, but at least you have some sunshine there! Please send some to Michigan!

Hi all

I am overwhelmed by all the great comments about my spprs!

We are in the midst of a snowstorm with blizzard conditions today on PEI. All schools and government offices are closed, so I am at home and have some time to post.

Wynette, as I mentioned in my pm to you, when the weather is warmer, there may be a way to successfully get eggs to you . . . we'll work on that.

Hopefully, in a few years time, there'll be lots more pretty spprs around.

There aren't a lot in Canada either, so this is a rare strain of rocks. Wish us luck with this venture!

Bye for now.

Hi all

I am overwhelmed by all the great comments about my spprs!

We are in the midst of a snowstorm with blizzard conditions today on PEI. All schools and government offices are closed, so I am at home and have some time to post.

Wynette, as I mentioned in my pm to you, when the weather is warmer, there may be a way to successfully get eggs to you . . . we'll work on that.

Hopefully, in a few years time, there'll be lots more pretty spprs around.

There aren't a lot in Canada either, so this is a rare strain of rocks. Wish us luck with this venture!

Bye for now.
VERY best of luck, it's been nice chatting w/you. I hope all your critters make it through the storm okay. Every year, I ask myself: WHY DID YOU MOVE TO MICHIGAN? I lived in Iowa before moving to MI, and where I lived was "just" far enough away that the winters were more tolerable. I really am not a fan of cold. Hang in there...hope the blizzard's not too awfully bad!

Boy oh boy those are about the finest penciled rocks I've seen in either silver penciled or partridge. 5 Years ago I looked and looked for partridge and silver penciled. I ended up with some Horstman Partridge and a strain of SPR out of NC. The Partridge have been a 4 year work in progress and the silver penciled were scraped because they were very very small. I would love to get a line of SPR to compliment my Partridge. If there is a way to get this line in the US put me on the list.
When I talk about someone near me who has Plymouth Rocks its Peachdawg 78. He also had my White Rocks for about three years and did a good job keeping them going and maybe it helped him on his mission for the colored Rocks. If there is a way you can get eggs into the USA for our breeders maybe in two or three years we can share these with others.

One way is to show at a Northern show like New York, Mich or Ohio and get the birds across the border then give them to their new owners.

How far do you live from Dick N? There may be a way he can pick up a breeding trio take them home then when he comes to the Ohio National in November he can get them to their new owner? That is how we did it with the Colombian Plymouth Rocks two years or so ago. Yard Full of Rocks had a friend who was from North Carolina they picked up the birds and brought them to their house then Scott went and picked them up. The rest is history. about 200 chicks latter they are being shared with many on this web site.

It can be done with any breed. I call it Net Working and it can even be done by car or truck by breeders. Thing of this we loose the ability to get birds shipped by post office we almost did a few years ago. Birds could come from North Carolina to New nan Georgia Show. I pick them up and bring them home to Mobile Alabama area. I then go to a show this spring in Northern Louisiana. A fellow breeder from Texas is there and takes the trio home to his house. He then goes to a show this fall in Arizona and a fellow like Walt picks them up and brings them to California. Then the new owner drives to Walts house or Walt goes to a show in Stockton Calif and they pick up the birds. Heck I will stretch the idea even further. The new owner could be from Washington State so when some of my old buddies drives down to Stockton like they did a few days ago they could pick them up and bring them to their home and if you want to go even further a guy from Idaho could come over to Centralia my old home town and pick them up at the show when they have it next.

Dont laugh some birds have made it that way. A lot of the guys from the Washington area drive over to the Ohio National in trucks and trailers and then bring the birds they buy for their friends back to Washington and that's how a lot of birds got started out in the west coast.

Eggs can be shipped UPS ground or by Gray Hound bus might cost a lot but where there is a will there is a way my mother use to say.

Just ask your self WHAT IF. Then ask and you shall receive.

Hope to see these birds in the USA some day. Thanks for doing a good job with them and please help our good friend in Michigan with your birds. It sure would be nice for her to get a bird or two to introduce to her good strain.

Hi, Bob! I've chatted with PEI via PM, and "we have a plan!" If it comes to fruition, you know me - I am more than willing to share!
wink.png
Give me a couple of years to "work out the kinks"....

No worries, Bob! We will get those SPRs into the US if PEI is willing. I know Dick personally (and others that show in the northern states) and live very near him so I can work with him/them as well. And I look forward to meeting you in person at Newnan, Bob!!!
big_smile.png

Hi Wynette

As promised here are some pics that I took today. It is minus 11 degrees C here and windy, so the day is quite brisk. We lost all our snow last week, but we are back in the deep freeze again, and more snow is forecast for tonight.

The broody is in the shared nest and I moved her to take a picture of the eggs she is keeping from freezing

The pullets' eggs are still small, but slowly enlarging each week now.

I added some scratch to their run, so they are busy gobbling that up.

The older 2011 rooster is with them, and I see that his comb is a bit frostbitten which is hardly surprizing because we had a long cold spell in mid January.

Happy Winter! and stay warm.

Love your pictures :)

New nan Georgia Show is this weekend and look forward to meet many of you on this message board. Will be there Friday afternoon and eat the meal the provide. Then Saturday will be working our table for our Panhandle Poultry Club March Show in Pensacola Florida. We are planing to have a great show and you wont be leave I am interested in the Pigeon Show there as I am thinking of putting on a Pigeon Show in our little poultry building for the pigeon guys and this will be a fund raiser to help us buy some used bantam and large fowl cages. If anyone one knows of a show that is gone belly up anywhere in the USA let me know. We might be able to buy their cages from them.

Sure love those Silver Pencil led Rocks from Canada. My dream is to get some down here. I have two people who will be sponsors to raise them and get them started so we can share them like Scott has been doing with the Colombians that we got out of Canada a few years ago.

New nan Georgia Show is this weekend and look forward to meet many of you on this message board. Will be there Friday afternoon and eat the meal the provide. Then Saturday will be working our table for our Panhandle Poultry Club March Show in Pensacola Florida. We are planing to have a great show and you wont be leave I am interested in the Pigeon Show there as I am thinking of putting on a Pigeon Show in our little poultry building for the pigeon guys and this will be a fund raiser to help us buy some used bantam and large fowl cages. If anyone one knows of a show that is gone belly up anywhere in the USA let me know. We might be able to buy their cages from them.

Sure love those Silver Pencil led Rocks from Canada. My dream is to get some down here. I have two people who will be sponsors to raise them and get them started so we can share them like Scott has been doing with the Colombians that we got out of Canada a few years ago.

Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday, Bob, and purchasing one of your fine pens.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom