Silver Pencilled Wyandottes and White Sultans: Moving sale

rtroxel

Songster
10 Years
Nov 26, 2010
Southern Wisconsin
I have been working with these 2 breeds for several years, but our family has decided to move. I'm looking for new homes for some of my adult breeders. I'm almost out of time and we are located in southern WI.

I have 13 female and 4 male Sultans. These include several crosses and a pure line that I've been working with for a couple years, so they aren't exactly perfect. The chicks this year have been really nice and last years' young birds (included in this offering) were extremely close to being what I'm looking for to match the standard description. This is a project, but a moderately skilled breeder with some space to hatch a good number could have some of the best Sultans the US has seen in a long time in only a generation or two.

Sultan Temperament: Hens are extremely docile and easy to tame. Sweet and pretty good layers. Tend to be pretty dedicated mothers and broodies (for better or worse). They lay pretty well, but tend to lay a small egg. I would estimate I get 200+ from most hens/year. Roosters are generally pretty calm but not friendly, especially if they are with hens. They do seem to get more aggressive when alone and sometimes they can be mean even with hens.

I have 9 female and 3 male Silver Pencilled Wyandottes. Yes. Silver Pencilled. I have been working with Partridge and Silver Pencilled pattern for many years. These are some really nice stock. Not as fluffy as some of the whites you see in the shows, but that older style of tight-feathered but soft feathered birds. Males easily are 10+ pounds at maturity and females get right up there. Lacing is pretty decent, but still fighting that gray color so common in this variety. This is probably the rarest of the Wyandotte colors (especially if you consider only the standard colors) and I've never crossed any other breeds into this variety. I've used some SL Wyandottes and Partridge in the past, but never any Rock, Cochin, Brahma or anything else as long as I've had them (almost 10 years for SPs). I haven't had a single comb in probably 7 years of hatching 50-100 a year. I would challenge you to find another flock with this level of quality and quantity of this extremely rare variety.

Wyandotte Temperament: Both sexes tame pretty nicely, especially the hens, but this is a pretty aggressive breed. They are not aggressive toward people, but they can be toward other breeds and each other. They work pretty well with the Sultans because the Sultans are so docile. These grow pretty well and lay pretty well (maybe 150/year), but they aren't going to give you the same levels of production as a commercial bird or a hybrid cross.

I'm leaving for IN this week and we could probably arrange for pick up in WI or IN, but I'd prefer to not have to carry them along for the move. Make me an offer. I'd prefer to keep the groups together or split as little as possible. I also would prefer someone with some possible intention of breeding them. But right now, I'm up against the clock and they need a new home.

Keep in mind that we are also right in the middle of Summer and molt, so these pictures are not all from right now and the birds are almost all going into a pretty heavy molt. Not all are pictured, either, due to their feather condition.

I'm glad to answer any questions you may have, but my responses may not be immediate. I've got a lot on the plate right now, but you can help me with that :)
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• noname (1).jpg
    noname (1).jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 30
  • noname (2).jpg
    noname (2).jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 17
  • noname (3).jpg
    noname (3).jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 17
  • noname (4).jpg
    noname (4).jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 19
  • noname (5).jpg
    noname (5).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • noname.jpg
    noname.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 19
I have been working with these 2 breeds for several years, but our family has decided to move. I'm looking for new homes for some of my adult breeders. I'm almost out of time and we are located in southern WI.

I have 13 female and 4 male Sultans. These include several crosses and a pure line that I've been working with for a couple years, so they aren't exactly perfect. The chicks this year have been really nice and last years' young birds (included in this offering) were extremely close to being what I'm looking for to match the standard description. This is a project, but a moderately skilled breeder with some space to hatch a good number could have some of the best Sultans the US has seen in a long time in only a generation or two.

Sultan Temperament: Hens are extremely docile and easy to tame. Sweet and pretty good layers. Tend to be pretty dedicated mothers and broodies (for better or worse). They lay pretty well, but tend to lay a small egg. I would estimate I get 200+ from most hens/year. Roosters are generally pretty calm but not friendly, especially if they are with hens. They do seem to get more aggressive when alone and sometimes they can be mean even with hens.

I have 9 female and 3 male Silver Pencilled Wyandottes. Yes. Silver Pencilled. I have been working with Partridge and Silver Pencilled pattern for many years. These are some really nice stock. Not as fluffy as some of the whites you see in the shows, but that older style of tight-feathered but soft feathered birds. Males easily are 10+ pounds at maturity and females get right up there. Lacing is pretty decent, but still fighting that gray color so common in this variety. This is probably the rarest of the Wyandotte colors (especially if you consider only the standard colors) and I've never crossed any other breeds into this variety. I've used some SL Wyandottes and Partridge in the past, but never any Rock, Cochin, Brahma or anything else as long as I've had them (almost 10 years for SPs). I haven't had a single comb in probably 7 years of hatching 50-100 a year. I would challenge you to find another flock with this level of quality and quantity of this extremely rare variety.

Wyandotte Temperament: Both sexes tame pretty nicely, especially the hens, but this is a pretty aggressive breed. They are not aggressive toward people, but they can be toward other breeds and each other. They work pretty well with the Sultans because the Sultans are so docile. These grow pretty well and lay pretty well (maybe 150/year), but they aren't going to give you the same levels of production as a commercial bird or a hybrid cross.

I'm leaving for IN this week and we could probably arrange for pick up in WI or IN, but I'd prefer to not have to carry them along for the move. Make me an offer. I'd prefer to keep the groups together or split as little as possible. I also would prefer someone with some possible intention of breeding them. But right now, I'm up against the clock and they need a new home.

Keep in mind that we are also right in the middle of Summer and molt, so these pictures are not all from right now and the birds are almost all going into a pretty heavy molt. Not all are pictured, either, due to their feather condition.

I'm glad to answer any questions you may have, but my responses may not be immediate. I've got a lot on the plate right now, but you can help me with that :)
Thanks for looking!
These have been sold. They went to the Heritage Poultry Conservancy in Arkansas.
Hi _ I contacted Allen Smith to see if I can purchase some fertilized eggs, or day old chicks, or a pair. I've looked for years for these. Nothing in CA. And the other existing flock in Ohio.....well, the owners are pretty selfish to outsiders.

Back
Top Bottom