Silver pheasant chicks

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by kbgh, Jan 26, 2014.

1. kbgh

kbgh Chillin' With My Peeps

In mid December our trio of young Silver Pheasants laid an egg. Then another, and another, 5 altogether.

These birds are about 18 months old and should start breeding this spring, but December?

What the heck we pulled out an incubator , put the eggs in, and waited. Thursday nite 2 eggs pipped and Friday morning we had 2 healthy Silver chicks. Two eggs were undeveloped and one that came late is in the incubator. Due to hatch later this week.

Anybody else experience this early egg laying?

Guess I should add we are in North East Pennsylvania and it has been cold since early December.

Kerry

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sounds like your gonna have a screwed up breeding season this year.Have any others laid eggs?Do you provide heat for them?
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. kbgh

This is their first fertile year. I hope it was a fluke and they get the idea in the spring.

Our pens are protected but not heated. I know that a heated pen can screw up the breeding cycle.

KB

4. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Are your pens fully wrapped?
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. kbgh

Mostly but plenty of ventilation and it is definitely cold. We have to heat waterers and the floors are fozen.

6. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I use to cover my pens completely and found that it screwed up their seasons.They started courtships around the same time,but slowed the laying season.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have since changed the poly to just the top 3 ft and leave the bottom open with better results.The roof is covered yearround now with metal roofing.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by