SILVER PIED ??????

Your table is correct.  That crossing does not produce any silver pied birds.  It produces birds that are pied white eye and split to silver pied.

Silver Pied X Pied

Would someone please explain how to read these charts?
idunno.gif

First column running up and down W and P stands for White and Pied this is a genetic representation of "Pied" (carrying 1 white gene and 1 pied gene) This is the Pied parent.

Across the top running left to right W/WESP and P/WESP this is the genetic representation of "Silver Pied"( carrying 1 white gene and 1 pied gene as well as 2 White Eye genes that have the "special something silver dust making magic ingredient=SP) This is the Silver Pied Parent.

All the remaining squares are showing what possible offspring you could get from this pairing. This amounts to 25% white(W/W/WESP)carrying WE and the magic silver ingredient SP, 50% Silver Pied(W/P/WESP) and lastly 25% Dark Pied White Eye(P/P/WESP) carrying the magic silver ingredient SP as well.

Least I think that's how it reads!
old.gif

First column running up and down W and P stands for White and Pied this is a genetic representation of "Pied" (carrying 1 white gene and 1 pied gene) This is the Pied parent.

Across the top running left to right W/WESP and P/WESP this is the genetic representation of "Silver Pied"( carrying 1 white gene and 1 pied gene as well as 2 White Eye genes that have the "special something silver dust making magic ingredient=SP) This is the Silver Pied Parent.

All the remaining squares are showing what possible offspring you could get from this pairing. This amounts to 25% white(W/W/WESP)carrying WE and the magic silver ingredient SP, 50% Silver Pied(W/P/WESP) and lastly 25% Dark Pied White Eye(P/P/WESP) carrying the magic silver ingredient SP as well.

Least I think that's how it reads!
old.gif
Thats essentially correct. The first row and the first column are always representative of the male or female and the combinations of genes they can pass on. So as you said the first cloum is representative of the genes the pied bird could pass on. He/she could pas a pied gene or a white gene thus the two rows. The silver pied bird can pas a pied or white even as well and under in case will pass a white eye gene as well (assuming we have been correct here).

I spoke with a couple of folks this weekend and have learned that one of them had a silver pied by pied cross that produced silver pied birds. This would imply something totally different than we have been thinking. We are going to breed a couple of silver pieds to some pieds this year and see hat we come up with. We are going to breed it both ways on sexes.

Wait a minute, I have 2 such pairings and both have produced silver pied birds. ??? Is this unusual? Both are Pied males over SP hens.

Back
Top Bottom