Silverudd's Blue

Pics
I have a question. Since there is no SOP for the Silverudd's blues (formerly Blue Isbars) how do we know, other than the person saying that is what it is, that it is in fact the breed? I was able to get a pair from cree57i, so I know these are Silverrudd's Blue chickens.
I know they definetely need to lay green eggs and it sounds like large ones... but if they aren't laying yet how would you know if you are getting a true Silverudd's?
I have noticed that the colors aren't consistant and even change greatly as the chicken ages.

I have a question. Since there is no SOP for the Silverudd's blues (formerly Blue Isbars) how do we know, other than the person saying that is what it is, that it is in fact the breed? I was able to get a pair from cree57i, so I know these are Silverrudd's Blue chickens.
I know they definetely need to lay green eggs and it sounds like large ones... but if they aren't laying yet how would you know if you are getting a true Silverudd's?
I have noticed that the colors aren't consistant and even change greatly as the chicken ages.

One of the things that is important to me when I am acquiring SB is where the parent stock came from. Answers like, "I don't remember," put up red flags to me. I have a bunch of birds, but have them grouped and banded so I know who is who and where they are from. Educating yourself about SB is the very best thing you can do.

On the SB-USA FB page is the beginnings of a breed description under the "files" tab. There is also input from some of the members of the Swedish Heritage Breed Group.

This is a real learning experience and even birds with impeccable pedigrees can show recessive traits that are not consistent with what you want in a breeder. Not every bird will be a breeder. It takes hatching a lot to get the ones you really want to keep.

One of the things that is important to me when I am acquiring SB is where the parent stock came from. Answers like, "I don't remember," put up red flags to me. I have a bunch of birds, but have them grouped and banded so I know who is who and where they are from. Educating yourself about SB is the very best thing you can do.

On the SB-USA FB page is the beginnings of a breed description under the "files" tab. There is also input from some of the members of the Swedish Heritage Breed Group.

This is a real learning experience and even birds with impeccable pedigrees can show recessive traits that are not consistent with what you want in a breeder. Not every bird will be a breeder. It takes hatching a lot to get the ones you really want to keep.
Having trouble finding the Facebook page. Is it SB USA or Silverudd's Blue USA or? ETA: Found it!

Last edited:

Thanks for the FB page info. I will be sure to join. Not getting into breeding just yet but would like to know and learn more about each of the breeds I do have. Got these to ensure a more colorful basket of eggs.May eventually get into breeding and will want to do it to Standards for each of my birds. Having to hatch (and raise) many to get a few makes a lot of sense. Especially since from what I understand the birds of ANY breed do not actually have to be pure bred to match standards (they only have to meet standards)... so of course there can and will be dominate and even recessive traits showing up occasionally that aren't desirable. I still have a LOT to learn.

BTW cree57i, me and my daughter LOVED meeting ya'll and enjoying your chickens and setup. I can dream.... I could have spent the whole day there listening to ya'll talk and watching your babies.

would it be possible to cut and paste the description here too -- for those of us who don't use facebook and don't wish to start? It would be nice.
hide.gif

I'm having trouble finding the FB group. Only a few farms posting show up. Can someone help me find it?

I PM'd you the link. I am happy to PM the link to anybody who can't find it!

I think one of BYC rules is you aren't supposed to link to outside groups in threads. That's why I didn't post it.

Back
Top Bottom