Simply a Hip Hillbilly Acre update

I really don’t want to hear this. I have an one week old Easter egger with suspiciously thick legs. 😭

Both my Easter eggers seem bigger than the orpingtons that came with them. Hopefully they are just big pullets.
My local feedstore got chicks from Mt Healthy this year. Initially we thought - hmmm, maybe a few bad batches. But it quickly turned really bad. So bad that it had to be confirmed they werent sent straight run.

I only picked up a pair of speckled Sussex from them this year, and we ended up with 1 and 1. I'm okay with it because I love roosters, but seems like folks were getting 1 out of 3 as cockerels, in general.

My local feedstore got chicks from Mt Healthy this year. Initially we thought - hmmm, maybe a few bad batches. But it quickly turned really bad. So bad that it had to be confirmed they werent sent straight run.

I only picked up a pair of speckled Sussex from them this year, and we ended up with 1 and 1. I'm okay with it because I love roosters, but seems like folks were getting 1 out of 3 as cockerels, in general.
Is that from feed store orders? Or home orders? I have a few friends that LOVE Mt Healthy and order from them every year…

Is that from feed store orders? Or home orders? I have a few friends that LOVE Mt Healthy and order from them every year…
Feed store.

36 birds per variety, 4 varieties per shipment.

We spoke to a member of Mt Healthy "management" when corresponding about one of the terribly sexed shipments. He admitted sexing issues this year as they began supplying more regional large chain stores, as well as developed some new breeds/varieties.

Feed store.

36 birds per variety, 4 varieties per shipment.

We spoke to a member of Mt Healthy "management" when corresponding about one of the terribly sexed shipments. He admitted sexing issues this year as they began supplying more regional large chain stores, as well as developed some new breeds/varieties.
Hopefully they have gotten better now that the ordering craze has slowed a bit! Fingers crossed for my late June order…

Hopefully they have gotten better now that the ordering craze has slowed a bit! Fingers crossed for my late June order…
One thing to consider is the fact that we didn't receive a single dead chick though. From Ohio to Oregon is a long ways, and the health of the chicks was incredible.

1 cream legbar, 1 Bielefelder, 1 Blue laced red Wyandotte, a couple Easter & Olive Eggers, 2 Australorps, 2 Barred Rocks, & a Lavender Orpington. 😊
A nice mix.

You are going to be very happy with their olive eggers. I believe it is a cross with a Maran and a blue ameracauna. We got 5 last year from them and 4 have really nice olive eggs, with another being just a standard EE green.

One thing to consider is the fact that we didn't receive a single dead chick though. From Ohio to Oregon is a long ways, and the health of the chicks was incredible.
Yeah, mine came on their hatch day all the way to Washington! They have been extremely healthy.

I’m hoping your early mis-sexings made them more careful for later batches. It’s only been a week, but I’m attached!

Back
Top Bottom