Hip Hillbilly Acres Chick Update

Nov 7, 2021
Lyric's World
Tried to get update pics this morning while feeding. Blurry, but I can't sweat it right now. Yucky, coop cleaning time. I now have friends saving their leaves for me to go pick up. No need in 'em going to waste. Anywho, blurry as usual, but I can't sweat that right now.

I am wondering if the whiteish birds are Wellsummers; I have NO clue. How about photo no. 2 is that not a roo??? Also excited to see exactly how many roos that I have. I am not afraid not enough girls for them all. Still just waiting to confirm. I def want to keep at least one Brahma cockarel and any Bieles and Neiderrs that may be boys. Again, we'll just have to wait and see.

The one hubbyis holding (first pic); I think it is a hen only because it is so cute. Also, not sure if she is one of the Ameraucanas we got from TSC (first brood we got). You think that is an Ameraucana? We purchased some cochins (mixed) early on; now they are big I can't tell which are cochin. Don't think I got any pics of them this morning. No wait pic no. 2 that roo, isn't that a cochin? It has feathery legs/toes!

Attachments

• image000006.jpg
    image000006.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 23
  • image000005.jpg
    image000005.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image000003(1).jpg
    image000003(1).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image000002(1).jpg
    image000002(1).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image000002(2).jpg
    image000002(2).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image000001(2).jpg
    image000001(2).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
yep, they are like kids, never sit still. lol

The 1st pic.. if its a niederrhiener then its a pullet. Males will be much, MUCH lighter in color and will clearly be roo-ish by 8-10 weeks, pathetic adolescent crow and all.

3rd pic looks like a light brahma..? looking at feather pattern and feet, it looks just like mine. This is Stewie (L) and Hedwig 10-12 wks lt brahma
6282D735-5533-4CDA-9266-3ECF0E4EE371.jpeg

I’m not familiar with Welsummer. Cochins have feathered feet but that’s about all I know of them.
The other pics, sorry. I just can’t tell. But EE are supposed to have slate legs and feet.

You have a nice looking flock and set up!!

Lol blurry pictures even with my glasses on. That white one is a brahma though.
Tonyyyy, I knnoowwwww about my babe the white Brahma. Hey, she needs a name only one in our bunch. Got any ideas?

We have these two other chickens with a lot of white and I have no clue what they are. They were among the Wellsummer, Dixie Rainbow, Maran order I placed, hatched 8/3.

Awww, thank you SO much for that encouragement. I often feel discouraged when I view others' and after reading realize they are waaay more financially well off than we are; no way I could compete. So, what you said made me smile and my heart rejoice. Thank you.

yep, they are like kids, never sit still. lol

The 1st pic.. if its a niederrhiener then its a pullet. Males will be much, MUCH lighter in color and will clearly be roo-ish by 8-10 weeks, pathetic adolescent crow and all.

3rd pic looks like a light brahma..? looking at feather pattern and feet, it looks just like mine. This is Stewie (L) and Hedwig 10-12 wks lt brahma View attachment 3318252

I’m not familiar with Welsummer. Cochins have feathered feet but that’s about all I know of them.
The other pics, sorry. I just can’t tell. But EE are supposed to have slate legs and feet.

Uww, looka Stewie and Hedwig. I hope they make babies! 🥰

I am wondering if the whiteish birds are Wellsummers
No, the "whitish" birds are not Welsummers.
Welsummers have chicks that are striped like little chipmunks, and they grow up to have a pattern of red/gold with black.

They do not have white bars in the feathers, and they do not have large areas of white either.

I'm not positive which "whiteish" birds you are asking about.

I think I see a Light Brahma (feathered feet, lots of white, black at the base of the neck, some black at the tail and the large feathers of the wings).

I see at least one chicken that is "splash" colored (mostly white or light gray, with black feathers sprinkled here and there in no particular pattern.) That's in one photo next to a blue-ish feeder. and another photo next to some pallets. I think those are photos 5 & 7. That chicken (or those chickens, if more than one) are definitely not Welsummers. I'm not sure what breed they are, but splash chickens often happen when people are breeding blue chickens. So they might be any kind that is usually sold as blue or as splash.

I also see a white Silkie (photo 6, next to a Light Brahma.)

How about photo no. 2 is that not a roo???
Depending on the age, the big red comb and wattles probably do mean cockerel.

(Possible exception: an adult hen that is laying eggs might have a comb & wattles that big and red. But I don't think yours are old enough for that yet, so it's most likely a male.)

The one hubbyis holding (first pic); I think it is a hen only because it is so cute. Also, not sure if she is one of the Ameraucanas we got from TSC (first brood we got). You think that is an Ameraucana?
The one in his hands is definitely not an Ameraucana. Reasons: wrong comb type, no muffs, wrong foot color. Ameraucana would have a pea comb, slate (dark blue) feet, and fluffy muffs/beard on the face.

Since you bought them from TSC, you probably got Easter Eggers rather than actual Ameraucanas. That means they have some traits that are not "right" for Ameraucanas. But I would still expect a pea comb, dark feet (green or blue), and a fair chance of muff/beard on the face. Also, Easter Eggers CAN come in any color, but it is not common for them to have white barring across their feathers (like that chicken has.)

I think that is probably one of your Bielefelders, or possibly one of your Niederrheiners.

I think it might be female, but I'm not completely sure.

We purchased some cochins (mixed) early on; now they are big I can't tell which are cochin. Don't think I got any pics of them this morning. No wait pic no. 2 that roo, isn't that a cochin? It has feathery legs/toes!
Cochins should have feathered feet and single combs. That cockerel does have a single comb, so yes he might be a Cochin.

No, the "whitish" birds are not Welsummers.
Welsummers have chicks that are striped like little chipmunks, and they grow up to have a pattern of red/gold with black.
Hmm, ok, then considering what was ordered they must be Dixie Rainbow which I have read look all kinda ways.
I'm not positive which "whiteish" birds you are asking about.

I think that is probably one of your Bielefelders, or possibly one of your Niederrheiners.

Well, they are tiny babies in the brooder across the floor in my sewing room. The other birds (the two birds with white in their feathers - not the light brahma-that I was writing about) are out in coop and are waaay older than my 10 day old Bieles and Neiderrs.

Thanks for all your obs. It is kinda fun for me looking at my Bubble Bunch and thinking about these things.

Back
Top Bottom