Since this is asked once a week....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
THERE IS A FARMER NEAR ME THAT RAISES ALL KINDS OF POULTRY,TURKEYS, DUCKS, QUAIL AND OTHER AND I TOLD HIM THAT I WANTED TO TRY SOME QUAIL AND HE TOLD ME TO PUT A BABY CHICK IN WITH THE QUAIL TO TEACH THEM TO EAT. THIS PERSON WITH THE CHICK AND QUAIL WAS PROBABLY TOLD THE SAME.

Ummm, I really don't want to stir the pot here so instead of going with the standard "Yes you can" or "No you can't" side of this debate I thought I would toss out a possibility that the "No you can't" people may not be thinking about.

Most of the quail raised today in captivity came from quail that were raised in captivity who came from quail raised in captivity <repeat until nauseous>. As a result, calling them wild gamebirds is rather over stating their origins a might bit. Heck, many of the strains of coturnix out there have never been seen in the wild (The A&M White for example). Somewhere, some place down the generational chain, many of these quail lines were brooded, housed, and allowed access to chickens. As a result, they have been exposed to the chicken yuckies <a good term to cover 99% of all chicken specific diseases>. I'm thinking the guy back down in history that decided he was going to eat the next thing that popped out of a particular bird's rear and began the craze of raising chickens wasn't overly concerned about disease spread when he discovered that the smaller thing that popped out of a quail's rear tasted good when soaked in sour wine for a few days and began the craze of raising quail (as well as getting stinking drunk on pickled quail eggs and beer).

In other words, just like any animal, resistances can develop over years of captivity. While wild quail may keel over at the mere mention of a chicken yuckie, domestic quail may laugh in it's face. To automatically presume that all quail will sicken and die if in contact with chickens is preposterous. This would be especially true of those quail that are hybridized and have been created by man to start with, such as the jumbo and A&M white coturnix and the Butler and Georgia Giant bobs. A little research and common sense will show where these can be safely housed near or perhaps even with chickens.

Now, would I head out and grab ten wild quail and toss them into a chicken coop? No way in the world. Not only would I then be running the risk of giving the quail a chicken yuckie but I would run the risk of giving the chickens a quail yuckie. Even with domestic quail, I would strive to keep them separate in some manner if for no other reason that anything smaller than a chicken looks like a grasshopper to an orpington and that chicken toes look a lot like worms to a quail. Will I brood chickens and quail together? You betcha. I did it just recently and did not lose a single bird to any disease. Are they still in the same living quarters? No... chicken toes look like worms.

Quote:
Heck, disease spreads in a third grade classroom too but I still send the little heathen monster child to school every day so he can bring me home the snotty nose crud he shook in 24 hours but I sit here and fight for 2 weeks.

Quote:
Well, the original A&M strain of coturnix were jumbo browns...not white at all, but that isn't important right now.

Since neither one of us is really skilled in the science of virology. I will not say it is bad to raise chickens with any game bird....Of course, it's really bad, or can be bad, but don't listen to me. Maybe your quail have some sort of mutant resistance to "Chicken yukie" mine may not, so I deploy a bean counting method that has served me well.

The bean counting method: 101 people are sitting in a bath tub full of water. They all decide to whip out a hair dryer. 98% don't drop the dryer into the bathtub and electrocute themselves , so it's relatively safe to dry your hair while sitting in a bathtub full of water. As long as you don't drop the dryer..........Sorry, I don't like those odds..Just the bean counter in me. I approach, raising game birds the same way....No bathtub, no dryer, no problem............No chickens!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
THERE IS A FARMER NEAR ME THAT RAISES ALL KINDS OF POULTRY,TURKEYS, DUCKS, QUAIL AND OTHER AND I TOLD HIM THAT I WANTED TO TRY SOME QUAIL AND HE TOLD ME TO PUT A BABY CHICK IN WITH THE QUAIL TO TEACH THEM TO EAT. THIS PERSON WITH THE CHICK AND QUAIL WAS PROBABLY TOLD THE SAME.

I have heard this recommendation before as well. The chick is supposedly able to learn where food and water is faster than quail chicks or something.

Chinchilla2 - I have heard this as well, can't remember where from, though. I definitely agree that domesticated quial would be less likely to die from chicken diseases than a wild quail. I'll try and find the journal I was reading that mentioned this
smile.png

Quote:
I SEE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS THAT YOU HAVE QUAIL AND CHICKENS???? IF YOU HAVE A SEPARATE PEN/CAGES FOR YOUR QUAIL IS THIS O.K. FOR YOU THAT HAVE BOTH CHICKENS AND QUAIL WHAT ARE YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR RAISING BOTH. I HAVE CHICKENS AND NOW PLAN TO HAVE QUAIL? CAN QUAIL GET MAREKS?

YES AS WELL AS NEWCASTLE'S IN THE PARTS OF THE WORLD THAT IT IS AVAILABLE IN, AS WELL QUAIL CAN BE A CARRIER OF NEWCASTLES AND PASS IT TO CHICKENS... MOSTLY THE BIGGEST PROBLEM THEY GET FROM OTHER POULTRY IS CORYZA, OR AT LEAST I SHOULD SAY THATS THE MOST COMMON.

For Those Folks Who Use The "germs Are Everywhere Argument"... You Are Correct, But Just Because This Is The Case Doesnt Mean I'm Gonna Stroll Into The Cdc's Main Lab And Pop The Top Off A Test Tube Of Ebola Virus And Shove My Tongue In There To See What It Tastes Like.... Learn Some Epidemiology, And Realize All The Consequences Such As The Fact That 1 Sick Baby Quail In A Brooder Can Very Likely Kill The Whole Brooder. Gamebirds Tho Domesticated Have Not Been Kept That Way Nearly As Long As Many Other Species Of Poultry... Perhaps In Time They Will Acquire Resistance/ Immunity To These Illnesses, Perhaps Not. They Dont Respond The Same Way To Antibiotics As Many Other Types Of Poultry So It May Be Their Genetic Code Is Not Capable Of Developing Resistance/ Immunity? But When Every Single Veterinary Publication Or Manual Tells Me "do Not Expose To Other Poultry" As The Single Best Measure From Preventing These Illnesses In My Gamebirds I Tend To Place A Lot Of Credit On That. And Having Been A Prior Fellon Of This Action I Learned The Hard Way, Suffice To Say I Dont Do It
sad.png

Quote:

I have heard this recommendation before as well. The chick is supposedly able to learn where food and water is faster than quail chicks or something.

Chinchilla2 - I have heard this as well, can't remember where from, though. I definitely agree that domesticated quial would be less likely to die from chicken diseases than a wild quail. I'll try and find the journal I was reading that mentioned this
smile.png

you need to use coturnix chicks they are born eating I use them to teach my bobs and gambles and blue scale how to eat baby chickens are not needed when coturnix work so well

most do not realize "domestic" quail are wild LOLOL re Bobs spazy punk hairdo leather jacket attitudes LOL

Last edited:
Quote:

I raised them together because I had a lone chick hatch along with the quail, since I didn't want to put him by himself I housed him with the baby buttons who were the same age. It was kinda cute because the little buttons would sleep underneath the chick at night and snuggle with him
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom