Singing Chicken?

mbaur83

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
I know that chickens aren't songbirds, but I swear one of my buff orps was singing today! It sounded like a little trilling noise. Has anyone else heard something like this, or have I picked up those last few fries and completed my happy meal?

You're not crazy. Chickens have a whole vocabulary. From the "watch out, flying predator" to "hey lady, we're hungry" and my personal favorite "it's getting late, let's get ready for bed."

No fries for you!
wink.png
You're not crazy. They make many, many different sounds. If she was trilling, she was probably happy. On days we're late getting out to the coop to let the flock out (which is most days, since they'd be happy to go out the moment their eyes open), they stand at the vent doors and "curse" at us. It is a loud, prolonged, very unhappy sound.

I have 28 4 & 5 wk olds in a brooder in a spare bathroom and they all trill as they settle in for the night. It is so sweet when a bunch of them do it together. I can hear it from my bedroom at night.
love.gif
Now, the "wake up human it is time for breakfast" squacking, I could do without...
th.gif

Good to know! It was such a pretty sound I couldn't imagine that it was inadvertent.

Back
Top Bottom