Singing tips?

I'm a music education major... so I've heard quite a bit of "bad". I believe that singing is on a continuum. While you may be on a low end of the continuum to start with you still have the opportunity to improve. As long as you are making music and enjoying it you will find that you are succeeding, regardless of where you, or others, have placed you on the continuum.

O.K. first of all you DO NOT sound like a dying whatever... My advice, stand straight and sing your best!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you everyone. I've been doing the voice tips your all giving me (thank you again), and I can feel my voice improving. I'm taking it rather slow. But I feel my overall vocal chords/tongue strengthening and stuff, it's really neat that now I can tell that I sing more even and steadily.
Thank you so much!

lightly put your hands on your cheeks when you practice it helps you keep a nic open sound and pretend there is a grape fruit in the soft bak of your mouth(open up) ive been n choir for 5 years and this is what we do. ALSO pronunciation and knowing when to hold out like sometimes pretending you have a brittish accent(If you don't) helps you alongate those vowels.
GOOD LUCK
thumbsup.gif

What really helped me, is to remember to breathe in through the nose, not the mouth. If you breathe through the mouth, your tongue and throat get dry and it makes your voice crack.
Also, use good posture, straight but RELAXED (don't flex or tighten your shoulder muscles), and keep your head up but with your chin slightly tucked down (toward the chest). There are always those dramatic stories that say "she THREW her head back and burst into song...." Well, don't.
smile.png
Keep your chin down! Tilting backward overstretches the throat (taking the vocal cords along with it) and also increases the risk that you'll get spit down your windpipe.

Diaphragmatic breathing is the best way to always breathe because it brings oxygen deep down into your lungs and allows you to fill the lungs from the bottom, up. Your wind lasts longer and you can sustain a note for longer because of it. When you breathe, in your mind picture filling a glass with beer from a bottle... you don't want the head of the beer to foam up too much and spill over the top, so you kinda let the beer slide down the side of the glass and fill the bottom and fill its way up. When you breathe like that, you should feel your belly expand instead of your chest.

I train in martial arts, and that's how we breathe for that too. It helps oxygenate our muscles and bodies longer so we don't poop out as quickly when we're doing our martial arts routines and sparring and all that.

Back
Top Bottom