Single addition help

Armstrt8

Chirping
Nov 5, 2019
Morning everyone - I have had a flock of 9 girls now for approx 1 year. I have a chicken fort Knox coop/run with each bird having approx 15-18 or so sq ft a bird.

A few days ago neighbors approached us with a lost chicken they found. It is a pretty black pullet looking to be 3-4 weeks old. Not sure variety yet... maybe post a pic later (raining). They also found 2 dead in neighbors yard and let 2 go (had 3 at 1 point). We have looked for days and cannot find the 2 let go (it wasnt the 2 found dead).

SO! Baby toothless (her name) is now in her own coop sitting right next to the main coop seeing my grown girls everyday. We dont want to get more chickens since our city limit is 6 and we already have 9 (now 10) and we barely keep up with eggs haha. I'm worried a out her being introduced to the flock (once time) having to one to grow up with. I have a chicken or 2 that goes broody and I normally stick them in the 2nd coop but toothless is now in there. Idea! Anyone know if it would be better to split off 1 or 2 of the main hens to live with toothless prior to her going into the full flock? Or would that just stress the ones out so much that get put with toothless that they kill her? Probably not a broody one regardless since they will be stressed in the 1st place.

Any insight on what you would do is appreciated!

Side note - we want to keep her. Very friendly! Also we live ON a city park where a city vehicle drives by daily and can obv see out chickens... so the being over limit isn't a big factor, but it's also why getting a couple more cant happen. A dozen may start to be too much haha!

Although in CV19 times I dare someone to tell me I have to go to the grocery store instead.....

Some pics. Any idea on breed? Also- I'm still new.. im sure my age guess is wrong haha

Attachments

• 20200527_094540.jpg
    20200527_094540.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200527_094519.jpg
    20200527_094519.jpg
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I think she's older than 3-4wks.....maybe closer to 6-8.
All her head feathers look to be in?
You've made a good start on integration...leave it as is for a couple-few weeks.
I'll assume your birds do not free range?
Tricky integration, might have to do some juggling.

This might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

As might this:
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Wow, thank you a ton for such a helpful and detailed response.

Lots of info I can use. I have 4 feeder stations but only 1 water. I have a other 5 gal water so I will put that in as well.
I have something like 140sqft and 9 birds, but no they dont freerange outside that area. I have zero spots to hide, or get out of line of sight though. I will add that too.

I'm having major issues now in the coop though! This side coop I always used for my broody chickens (always a buff orpington). 1 in particular goes broody like once a month. This past week she went broody and a second orpington did as well. With nowhere to put them I moved them back to coop from box 3-4 times a day. They would immediately get bullied and run off, but still seemed normalish pecking order behavior. I went out today and found a DEAD CHICKEN! It was the orpington that went broody (not the one that does often). On her back (odd?) under the coop. No blood, no feathers strewn about, neck in tact, but I didnt check the egg blockage thing. I'm wondering if she wasnt getting any water/food and passed on. The one orpington I have that is STILL broody is a bit more aggresive... she will still get for and water when I put her back in the run and she will fight back a bit. I'm thinking the other may have just been too low on pecking order....
My biggest regret is I wish I paid more attention and we just utilized and consumed her instead since we plan l to eventually.
I am worried more now about this broody one... thinking I may dispatch tomorrow since she has continually been an issue, and we want to dispatch 1 or 2 eventually.

Wow, thank you a ton for such a helpful and detailed response.

Lots of info I can use. I have 4 feeder stations but only 1 water. I have a other 5 gal water so I will put that in as well.
I have something like 140sqft and 9 birds, but no they dont freerange outside that area. I have zero spots to hide, or get out of line of sight though. I will add that too.

I'm having major issues now in the coop though! This side coop I always used for my broody chickens (always a buff orpington). 1 in particular goes broody like once a month. This past week she went broody and a second orpington did as well. With nowhere to put them I moved them back to coop from box 3-4 times a day. They would immediately get bullied and run off, but still seemed normalish pecking order behavior. I went out today and found a DEAD CHICKEN! It was the orpington that went broody (not the one that does often). On her back (odd?) under the coop. No blood, no feathers strewn about, neck in tact, but I didnt check the egg blockage thing. I'm wondering if she wasnt getting any water/food and passed on. The one orpington I have that is STILL broody is a bit more aggresive... she will still get for and water when I put her back in the run and she will fight back a bit. I'm thinking the other may have just been too low on pecking order....
My biggest regret is I wish I paid more attention and we just utilized and consumed her instead since we plan l to eventually.
I am worried more now about this broody one... thinking I may dispatch tomorrow since she has continually been an issue, and we want to dispatch 1 or 2 eventually.

Edit: HAD 9 birds

Update! It took a couple months but I got the new chicken into the flock. It was weeks of putting her in, her getting attacked a LOT, she had her comb ripped a bit and bled many times. But..! One day it seemed she just decided to fight back, and from that point on she climbed the ranks and appears to be the new flock leader.
Best part is she loves us SO much more! Probably due to the situation... but even still we go in the coop and she gets up on the top perch and wants to jump onto our shoulders/back haha

Back
Top Bottom