Single baby.

Pics

SkyeT

Songster
Aug 7, 2018
San Antonio
So, we ordered a couple of blue runner babies from Metzer in Jan. Both arrived dead two days later. It was heart breaking, but we decided to try again Feb and added a chocolate runner baby. For some stupid reason the babies bounced around Cali for two days before finally being sent here to san antonio. One blue was doa, the other loudly peeping. The chocolate was barely alive. I spent a little over an hour trying to keep it warm and get it to drink. No success and it died in my arms.

So now we have a lone duckling. I truly have no desire to have Metzer try a third time to fulfill our order. With our luck, they wont make it. There are no advertised runner duck breeders around here that we can find to try and get Storm a buddy. She currently has a stuff animal in her home to cuddle with and I talk to her and hold her as much as I can.

We are sad at what has played out, for ourselves and little Storm. Any tips? Anyone know of a runner breeder in Texas? Ideal Farms told me on the phone that they don't have runners at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for reading and letting me talk.

I tried craigslist before going to hatchery orders. Nothing around here. San Antonio doesn't have a lot of duck people, and those that do sell don't guarantee genetics or gender. We can't do straight run because we have to have females. We really wanted runners, especially my husband.

As to Cackle, we may end up driving up to that one as a weekend trip later on the season. I just don't know if I can handle.losing anymore babies to the mail system.

Magnolia, yes they do but fawns are the least docile runners. We were getting blues and chocolates because they rank higher on the personable list. We had a hybrid fawn, and although he was cool, he did not really socialize with us much.

If you can drive to one of course much better. Losing my 2 little ones has def turned me away from ordering from hatcheries again. Shipping is extremely hard on poultry. It's amazing any make it. A mirror that is safe will also help. My ducklings loved the mirror in their brooder.

I find it I hatch them myself they are more friendly. But then you get all the drakes and have to find something to do with them. I have found Swedish to be the friendliest of my hatchery ducks, but never had runners. I have some half fawn and white and half pekin. They are the friendliest ones I have ever had. Strangely they look like blue swedish.

If you can drive to one of course much better. Losing my 2 little ones has def turned me away from ordering from hatcheries again. Shipping is extremely hard on poultry. It's amazing any make it. A mirror that is safe will also help. My ducklings loved the mirror in their brooder.
I've read that. I will look into getting one. Storm seems to like the mini stuffed lion in her house. She under the heating plate curled up against "Albright" (toy is from my alma mater).

I find it I hatch them myself they are more friendly. But then you get all the drakes and have to find something to do with them. I have found Swedish to be the friendliest of my hatchery ducks, but never had runners. I have some half fawn and white and half pekin. They are the friendliest ones I have ever had. Strangely they look like blue swedish.
We thought of hatching, but getting rid of drakes would be hard. We aren't in duck country. If all else fails, I may be able to find a hybrid fawn/Peking. The one we had before was a cool guy.

As to getting adults, we want to raise the babies.

At least she is eating like a pig!

@Ratchnick We want to raise the babies since they are pets and we want them to have an interest in interacting with us.

Back
Top Bottom