Single Bantam with full size flock?

chicknerd

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
NH
Hi

I have 11 chicks and 1 appears to be a bantam. The rest will be full size. All but 1 of the other chicks are friendly or at least tolerant of the bantam. Is it fair to the bantam to keep it in my flock or would it be nicer to get another bantam so they have a like friend? Or is it better to remove the bantam (breeder says they will take it back if I want.).

I love the little bantam and I really want to keep it. I just want to be fair to it.

Thoughts???

deb

Have they been raised together?

I have my GSH, which is a bantam, in with my EE, RIR, SLW, 2 BJG's and 2 Light Brahmas and she is just fine. She actually intimidates most of the bigger ones.

Mine does just great with the other girls. We started with 2, but natural selection has taken one away
sad.png
My lone bantem, "Kung-Fu Panda", has turned out to be the boss. Big personality!

They'll be fine together. The chickens don't know their size! My Showgirl is best friends with my Australorp! And my Showgirl is one of the highest on the pecking order!
lol.png

Thanks for all your comments. I feel more relaxed (my first time with chicks). The oldest of the group is 8 weeks and I think the bantam is about 4 weeks and got introduced with 4 others over the weekend. Today is a much better day than yesterday. No pecking at all and the two groups are intermingling.

I will keep him or her and not worry! I read bantam roos are great so maybe I will get lucky!

deb

They are usually fine if raised together,,
BUT..my only concern would be a full sized roo hurting her while mating....

Back
Top Bottom