Single chick issues

Sundasac

Chirping
Jun 23, 2020
Hi this is my first post though I've got loads of advice on here in the past... google can be a godsend 😁
After having ex batts for years, a couple of months ago i got 2 cream leg bars , they'd been living with a rooster.... so i decided to try and hatch some eggs. I ended up with one hatching yesterday but the rest not until the weekend. So have the single chick under a lamp, I've a brooder in the post, she was really noisy yesterday but more settled now. I have a toy and a feather duster in with her. Shes over 24hours now but i still cant get her to drink, she'll have the odd peck at the food but that's all... should i maybe dampen the chick crumb? I've been putting drops of water on her beak. Any advice would be brilliant, shes a dear little thing. Many thanks 😀😀

They do learn quite quickly once they get the idea. I usually drop water on their beak as you are doing and then bring my finger slowly toward the water. Usually they start actually drinking off my finger first as they see the drip. And then they try to drink water off my finger while it's in the water. So they learn that way. We have also picked up the chick and gently dipped her beak in the water.

I did dampen the crumb because one of my chicks didn't eat for two days after I got her and was having trouble actually getting any. Kept missing. They were actually scared of it at first :lol: kept screaming but eventually they tried it.
I was going to give her some egg yolk but they weren't interested. So I tried Greek yogurt. They were sceptical at first, but after the first few tries.....Now they LOVE it.
I didn't give them very much though.
I don't think there is any harm in your trying egg yolk. It might perk her up a bit.
Actually, at this stage I really wouldn't worry. They have just absorbed the egg yolk before hatching so she probably doesn't actually need that much.
I know! You're doing them a favour and they scream like crazy.

I know... i.mean i was worried yesterday cos shes was crying so much... now im worrying today cos she isn't crying much... why do i do this to myself :thok I'll try all of those suggestions... appriciate the help... fingers crossed

If she's crying she might be cold.
They say if they move away from the heat lamp it's too warm, and if they huddle together (not that she can at the moment) directly under it then chances are it's too cold.
She might even just be lonely. They are very social animals and learn from eachother. She'll probably be much happier when she has a sibling or two.
And I do it every time. I was worried about my week old chick just the other day because I thought his bones weren't right 😂 but no, I was imagining it.
I have a week old and two 2 week olds. The 2wk olds are in my room and the younger one is being cared for by a broody.

Lol im as bad with my dogs...worry is my middle name! I have a moonlight bulb over her which isnt as hot as a red one .. so i have it lower ( brooder in the post) she looks content asleep in her feather duster and had a poo so all working ok... just the eating and drinking, but i know its early days 🤓

Well she should be ok for a bit yet.
That's great. The cheeping would worry me more than the food/drink but it could be loneliness.
Let me know how she does. Like I said, one of my chicks didn't eat for two days after I bought her, but the yoghurt really did help. And now she's two weeks, and an absolute scamp.
Hopefully yours will be ok.

Thanks for your help... shes eating and seems a lot more settled in her feather duster nest... did the water on the tip of my finger which worked brilliant... and just now shes drinking on her own. Whoop.. course now im like, is she drinking too much lol :duc other 4 eggs on lockdown so she'll have company soon.

Attachments

• 20200624_104616.jpg
    20200624_104616.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 6
Awesome! Does the feather duster work well? I always meant to try that but never got around to doing it.
now im like, is she drinking too much lol :duc

I do that every time. :lol:

She's so cute! What breed is she, a buckeye or something?
Every time I feed my chicks they chuck it everywhere. You're lucky she hasn't reached that stage yet.
I'm going to give them their food wet from now on. Be harder to scratch out.
They wake me up every morning at 5 or 6. I'm not good with early mornings. :rolleyes:
I'd like to meet the other chicks when they hatch too! Send photos!

Back
Top Bottom