Single chick won’t be quiet

AmeliesChickens

Hatching
Apr 7, 2020
I tried to hatch some chicken eggs but only one hatched, it is from our backyard flock but he has got attached to me and won’t be quiet, when i leave a room for 2 minutes he screams loudly. We are trying to get more eggs but we can’t fix our incubator, how can i get him to be quiet?

I tried to hatch some chicken eggs but only one hatched, it is from our backyard flock but he has got attached to me and won’t be quiet, when i leave a room for 2 minutes he screams loudly. We are trying to get more eggs but we can’t fix our incubator, how can i get him to be quiet?
He's lonely. He panics when you leave because he instinctively knows he shouldn't be alone.
Put a small mirror and a feather duster in the brooder with him.
I'd go as far as to play baby chick sounds off of YouTube for him.
Can you look in your area for someone selling chicks his age? Are the farm stores still selling them where you are? As long as the chicks are within 3 weeks of his age, they should integrate fine.

This happened to me one year when I hatched chicks in the classroom. He was very LOUD and distracting, and I felt so sorry for him-chickens aren't meant to be alone. I found someone selling baby chicks about his age (a few days old). He was a Buckeye, and a bought a Buff Orpington to be his buddy. They INSTANTLY bonded and snuggled together-they were so cute, and never left each other's side! No more noise, just contented peeps!

Back
Top Bottom