Single comb ameraucanas - simple recessive? how to breed out?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Backyard Farm, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    Appreciate info.

I've heard that the single comb in Ameraucanas is a simple recessive. yes? no?

...and also did some reading and it seemed to not be so simple to breed out as a simple recessive your be.

...any info appreciated.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would identify the culprit(s) and cull.

3. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    I am wondering if the single comb is a simple recessive.

I can cull the birds that show single but if recessive, some birds that have pea comb (dominant) are hiding the recessive single comb. If it is indeed a simple recessive, I will probably keep a single comb roo and test breed each hen next year who appears to have a pea comb to see who is hiding the recessive single gene.. and a single comb hen to test the roos and ...maybe... just maybe eliminate it from my birds.

If it is not a simple recessive, would love info on the gene/genes and how to breed to get rid of it.

I have culled all the single combs except a few that I've kept with the idea of test breeding if that will work.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yes simple recessive.

However, sometimes you can identify which pea combed bird probably is a heterozygote by looking at the comb. It's often altered.. either 'not quite right' or really deviating from the proper pea comb look- variously in ways like having chewed bubble gum appearance, 'floppy', almost look like a single comb without the points, folded, etc. There's always some surprises as a great looking perfect pea comb can sometimes happen even if heterozygous.

Keep records, even if you don't test mate with single combs. for it to show up in a chick you have proof both the rooster and a hen are not pure for pea comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by