Single hen, what now?

marjica

Hatching
Oct 23, 2020
I recently lost a chicken, leaving me with only one. I feel so bad for her, it's been a few days now. I am not sure if it's better for me to get some young hens, like 3-4 months old, maybe three or four? Or would it be better to re-home the single girl with someone else who has more chickens? Which is a less stressful change for her? Any advice is really appreciated. Marji

marjica

Hatching
Oct 23, 2020
Either situation would be stressful, I myself would keep her and find new friends for her asap. She knows you and her surroundings. Imagine being uprooted AND forced to live with strangers. ;) Chickens also don't like change. Hope this helps!
Thank you, that's true for sure. I guess I got sidetracked picturing the younger ones sticking together and her staying separate. But, at least it is better to be doing that in her own home. Thanks again.

preciouschick

Chirping
Aug 26, 2020
PA
I recently lost a chicken, leaving me with only one. I feel so bad for her, it's been a few days now. I am not sure if it's better for me to get some young hens, like 3-4 months old, maybe three or four? Or would it be better to re-home the single girl with someone else who has more chickens? Which is a less stressful change for her? Any advice is really appreciated. Marji
I recently was going to take a small breed chicken to put in with my ISA browns. They werent getting along but I dont think we gave it enough time. The owner didnt like the pecking back and forth, which I cant blame her. I did read that a flock may not accept a new chicken. If you do rehome her make sure the other flock wont go after her.

ChocolateMouse

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2013
Cleveland OH
The best way to integrate a single hen is to give them an integration buddy. Put the solo and another hen in adjacent cages and put the main group into the coop. After a day if all looks well put the two solos together for several days. Then integrate them together like you would a normal pair of chickens. This will help a solo chicken integrate with the group more effectively.

Top Bottom