Single hen, what now?

marjica

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2020
I recently lost a chicken, leaving me with only one. I feel so bad for her, it's been a few days now. I am not sure if it's better for me to get some young hens, like 3-4 months old, maybe three or four? Or would it be better to re-home the single girl with someone else who has more chickens? Which is a less stressful change for her? Any advice is really appreciated. Marji

Either situation would be stressful, I myself would keep her and find new friends for her asap. She knows you and her surroundings. Imagine being uprooted AND forced to live with strangers. ;) Chickens also don't like change. Hope this helps!
Thank you, that's true for sure. I guess I got sidetracked picturing the younger ones sticking together and her staying separate. But, at least it is better to be doing that in her own home. Thanks again.

I recently lost a chicken, leaving me with only one. I feel so bad for her, it's been a few days now. I am not sure if it's better for me to get some young hens, like 3-4 months old, maybe three or four? Or would it be better to re-home the single girl with someone else who has more chickens? Which is a less stressful change for her? Any advice is really appreciated. Marji
I recently was going to take a small breed chicken to put in with my ISA browns. They werent getting along but I dont think we gave it enough time. The owner didnt like the pecking back and forth, which I cant blame her. I did read that a flock may not accept a new chicken. If you do rehome her make sure the other flock wont go after her.

The best way to integrate a single hen is to give them an integration buddy. Put the solo and another hen in adjacent cages and put the main group into the coop. After a day if all looks well put the two solos together for several days. Then integrate them together like you would a normal pair of chickens. This will help a solo chicken integrate with the group more effectively.

Well, I got three young Red Stars on Saturday. My older girl was so happy, she fluffed up all of her feathers and just kept clucking. 20201024_130748.jpg

Back
Top Bottom