Single Section vs. Multi Section Loft-- Please Advise

LamarshFish

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 26, 2015
I still have my original loft, it's a small 4x4x6' loft with a relatively large aviary. I have 16 birds in there, about 4 too many, and that's only because I've been trying my best to replace eggs with fake ones, yet they've slipped 3 past me lol.

The constant breeding, egg laying, hen driving, noise making leads me to want to separate them. I've mapped out pros and cons to separating the sexes, but I wanted to get your thoughts.

The upsides are the hens are driven less by the cocks, and won't be laying eggs nonstop. A female only has a fixed number of eggs. Then, after laying, even when I replace them with fakes, they set them nonstop, so they are just sitting in a bowl all day. They make breeding noises nonstop. Separating the sexes would alleviate this.

The downsides are, first, I have to build a new loft of course. Another downside, which I'm not sure about, but was hoping to get some input, is whether they suffer any significant emotional turmoil by being separated from their pair bonded mate? They'd have to live without their mate almost all of the time. Maybe they'd form gay pairings, maybe not.

Thoughts?

I still have my original loft, it's a small 4x4x6' loft with a relatively large aviary. I have 16 birds in there, about 4 too many, and that's only because I've been trying my best to replace eggs with fake ones, yet they've slipped 3 past me lol.

The constant breeding, egg laying, hen driving, noise making leads me to want to separate them. I've mapped out pros and cons to separating the sexes, but I wanted to get your thoughts.

The upsides are the hens are driven less by the cocks, and won't be laying eggs nonstop. A female only has a fixed number of eggs. Then, after laying, even when I replace them with fakes, they set them nonstop, so they are just sitting in a bowl all day. They make breeding noises nonstop. Separating the sexes would alleviate this.

The downsides are, first, I have to build a new loft of course. Another downside, which I'm not sure about, but was hoping to get some input, is whether they suffer any significant emotional turmoil by being separated from their pair bonded mate? They'd have to live without their mate almost all of the time. Maybe they'd form gay pairings, maybe not.

Thoughts?
Multi sections are awesome! But you did think of some downsides. Yes, there will be gay pairings. And other things you mentioned, but overall, I think you would be happy with it.

Thoughts?
Multi-section definitely! :)

The downsides are, first, I have to build a new loft of course.
Not sure of your plans on NEW, but you can just add another section to what you have. In crafty terms,,,, you would be getting a Double Wide.
Have separate aviaries where they can see but not interact. In winter remove separation.

Not sure of your plans on NEW, but you can just add another section to what you have. In crafty terms,,,, you would be getting a Double Wide.
Have separate aviaries where they can see but not interact. In winter remove separation.

Unfortunately with my loft design that is not possible. I could build another one of what I have. The downside to that is the fact that my current loft is not a walk in loft. I was hoping to get a walk in loft that I could go walk into and interact with them.

Multi multi section! You can always let them back together over the winter when they're 'not supposed' to be laying.:hmm

It seems they mate and lay just as much in the winter.... lol

If you want a walkin (understandable) Consider a Garden Shed conversion. I suggest garden sheds to peeps asking about making chicken coops. Of course there needs to be somewhat different conversion for pigeons, than for chickens,,, but it is a doable project.
Not sure of your budget,,,,,,,,,, but if it is on the low end,,,,, there are used sheds available for very little. Of course one needs to be near you.
I live in a large METRO area,,, and there is plenty of stuff available within short drive. Smaller communities will be more limited.
Consider also the plastic garden sheds. Of course the larger,,,, the higher $$$ 8 x 10 at Sam's $900
I had one of these sheds for storage purposes.
shed.PNG

I purchased mine from a private party, for $80 They started to TRY:gig to assemble it and gave up. It comes in a box as a KIT. Will take you a good long day by yourself to assemble. My suggestion on assembly,,,, FOLLOW DIRECTIONS STEP BY STEP,,, AND ALL WILL GO SMOOTH.:thumbsup
Not a lot of ca$h for something this size. It kept all things DRY inside. To make it a loft,,, you would need windows, and ventilation.
I would also screw thin plywood onto inside walls. (1/4 inch sufficient) One of those doors could be modified to be a full screened type with hardware cloth.:idunno
JUST THROWING OUT SOME POSSIBLE OPTIONS/IDEAS.

Back
Top Bottom