Singleton injured guinea keet

KirbyH

Songster
Jan 22, 2019
Rougemont, NC
I rescued a turkey poult on the day it hatched. Either the mother or other members of the flock were killing the hatchlings and this one, wounded and blind in one eye has survived. The mom who belongs to a neighbor who is presently out of the country had built a nest (hidden from sight for weeks) on our property. The day they hatched the whole flock from next door came over and seemed fine just wandering around but between checking on them something happened. So here we are with this baby who seems stronger each day but I am concerned about his/her being without a buddy other than myself and my husband. I’ve raised up chickens and guineas and I’ve created a warm box with proper turkey food and water and even given it a fake baby chick to snuggle with. Do you think it is imperative to get a friend for this fellow? If so could it be a baby chicken, guinea, quail? No one has turkey poults right now. Oh it enjoys our company, likes being cupped in our hand, and often hollers surprisingly loud until we fetch him. Suggestions?

I know nothing about about turkeys but I personally would get it another baby chick or a guinea hen (not a quail because they are disease prone and id worry about it getting smashed). If you have the time to spend with it for the majority of the day then it isn't absolutely necessary for it to have company. But int he mean time I would put some toys in its cage like a mirror or tie a dvd to a piece of string so the light makes sparkles for it to look at.

This turkey is not a turkey, she is a guinea and now I have a 6 week old guinea who seems to think I'm her mom and I am wondering where things go from here. i have learned very interesting things about guineas from this experience most especially how they need some kind of warm animal contact (I don't know what else to call it). Now that the bird is growing, can someone tell me how soon I can release the girl into the local flock. Is there something I need to be concerned about in terms of acceptance. How long must this sweet bird remain in my house?

This turkey is not a turkey, she is a guinea and now I have a 6 week old guinea who seems to think I'm her mom and I am wondering where things go from here. i have learned very interesting things about guineas from this experience most especially how they need some kind of warm animal contact (I don't know what else to call it). Now that the bird is growing, can someone tell me how soon I can release the girl into the local flock. Is there something I need to be concerned about in terms of acceptance. How long must this sweet bird remain in my house?
Im no expert on Guineas but they are very social birds. The problem here is that's she's imprinted on you. If she hasn't had contact with other guineas on a regular basis she won't know how to act or behave most likely. I think that eventually she could get the hang of being a guinea but it will be a hard road for her. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom