Sinus/ear infection in Rooster

chickenMamee

Songster
5 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Hernando, MS
I need some advice about my 3 year old roo. A couple of days ago he started getting swelling around his eyes and flesh around his beak. Prior to that he’d been shaking his head, scratching around his nostrils and sticking out his neck with his mouth wide open.
I checked his ears and they smell rotten! Also, I cleaned them with peroxide. He seemed to feel better the next day. But, the following day is when I saw his facial swelling and I heard gurgling sound from his nasal area. He’s now got a spot of bloody areas on each side of his beak. I’m guessing from his scratching. ?
I treated his ears again tonight, put neosporin on the bloody areas and have moved him from the coop.
He’s had issue with his ears several times in the past but this is way worse.
He doesn’t have a mite problem and he’s also been wormed recently.
My other chickens are not having any of these issues thus far.
I don’t know what to do know. Antibiotics? If so what kind?
Thank you.

This sounds like a respiratory infection, probably Mycoplasma gallicepticum. It's most often treated with Tylan 50.

Your roo probably has an ear infection with it, and it's causing him pain. When chickens scratch at their ears, that means they hurt. Give him a whole baby aspirin twice a day. You need to find the Tylan, usually at most feed stores.

This sounds like a respiratory infection, probably Mycoplasma gallicepticum. It's most often treated with Tylan 50.

Your roo probably has an ear infection with it, and it's causing him pain. When chickens scratch at their ears, that means they hurt. Give him a whole baby aspirin twice a day. You need to find the Tylan, usually at most feed stores.
I appreciate your replying.
I decided last night that he was going to get aspirin and part of a Benedryl too.
I had a few antibiotics so I’m going to see if any are in the Tylan family of drugs.
Thank you!

Could you post a picture ... Have you done a search in the forum for Sinus Infection? Sound like it to me but I'm not experienced in these things ... Will tag some that are,

@azygous @aart @Eggcessive @Ravynscroft

Having your location helps tagging members in your time zone.
Thank you.
I did search the forums and read them.
I’m going with aspirin and a small amount of Benedryl to help pain and swelling. Tylan is also on my radar.
Thanks again, I appreciate the response.

Does he smell bad around his beak as well or just around his ears (might be hard to tell?) Is he new to you or have you added new birds recently? He really sounds pretty sick, especailly if both eyelids and ears are swollen, with the head shaking and gurgling. Mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, or even ILT might be possible. ILT can cause bloody mucus to be coughed up from the beak. But his blood on his face make be from scratching. I would be tempted to treat him with Tylan 50 injectable, plus a sulfa antibiotic, just in case of coryza. Albon, sulfadimethoxine, sulmet, and Dimethox are some of the sulfa drug brands. Tylan 50 is usually sold at most feed stores. You can also use Tylan 200, but it is more expensive, and dosage needs to be decreased since it is 4 times stronger than Tylan 50. Dosage of the T50 injectable is 0.25 ml per pound 3 times daily for up to 5 days. You will need some 3 ml syringes with 18 or 20 gauge needles to remove it from the vial, but remove the needle to give it orally. Here is a good list of diseases with the respiratory ones to compare his symptoms:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Does he smell bad around his beak as well or just around his ears (might be hard to tell?) Is he new to you or have you added new birds recently? He really sounds pretty sick, especailly if both eyelids and ears are swollen, with the head shaking and gurgling. Mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, or even ILT might be possible. ILT can cause bloody mucus to be coughed up from the beak. But his blood on his face make be from scratching. I would be tempted to treat him with Tylan 50 injectable, plus a sulfa antibiotic, just in case of coryza. Albon, sulfadimethoxine, sulmet, and Dimethox are some of the sulfa drug brands. Tylan 50 is usually sold at most feed stores. You can also use Tylan 200, but it is more expensive, and dosage needs to be decreased since it is 4 times stronger than Tylan 50. Dosage of the T50 injectable is 0.25 ml per pound 3 times daily for up to 5 days. You will need some 3 ml syringes with 18 or 20 gauge needles to remove it from the vial, but remove the needle to give it orally. Here is a good list of diseases with the respiratory ones to compare his symptoms:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
No smell from any area other than his ears. I don’t see any discharge from his eyes, ears or nose. I’ll get photo of his head and post soon.

I had him separated from his flock and frankly I decided his anxieties were more detrimental to him than his illness. He’s the main roo and he’s been depressed as are his hens.
I am doctoring his wounds/scabs with neosporin and using peroxide on his ears. He hasn’t been shaking his head today or yawning so I’m guessing that treating his ears is helping his sinuses too. I held him just now to get the photos. He still has no infection smells around his beak/eyes area.

Attachments

• 47ACD148-05C5-4F6A-BD14-8810B4EB367D.jpeg
    47ACD148-05C5-4F6A-BD14-8810B4EB367D.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 06C1BEBB-64D0-4809-A131-8C16A63D492E.jpeg
    06C1BEBB-64D0-4809-A131-8C16A63D492E.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 12
His hens have probably been exposed to whatever he has, so if he is upset about being separated, I would place him a dog crate with food and water back with the hens, but for ease in medicating/handling him often. Sick chickens often do not drink enough fluids, so sometimes wetting the feed can get more water into them. Tylan Soluble Powder is available with a prescription from a vet and online if you would rather medicate the water. The vet can fax or call the online store. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...oF0LOf3C5Kgxg33ZopqEvvOoF_1xChicaAuBwEALw_wcB

Back
Top Bottom