Spreadsheet Queen
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
9 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Seems like there have been quite a few birds with sinus infections, so I thought I start a thread for people to share how they have dealt with them.

I'll start with mine... Last month I found a rooster with a nasty infected eye, but no other signs of respiratory infection, so I removed the pus as best as I could and set him free. Several days later the pus was back, so I did it again, but this time I was more aggressive and manged to get this out of his choanal slit:

Cause of sinus infection was the foxtail. To get it out I had to apply pressure to the area between his nostril and his eye.

This is a choanal slit - Photo by BYC's Nambroth

-Kathy

Edited to add:
No antibiotics were given.

Last edited:

ChickenHermit

Songster
6 Years
Mar 12, 2015
Astoria, OR
This is a great idea! And very useful info.

How did you get him to hold still? I towel wrap when I need to work with face or beak, but they're so wiggly I always have trouble...

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Good post. There have been more than one cases of some foreign object in the eye causing this kind of abscess, Normally we think it is from a respiratory infection, but once again that is not always the case for a swollen eye and sinus infection.

casportpony

Spreadsheet Queen
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
9 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
This is a great idea! And very useful info.

How did you get him to hold still? I towel wrap when I need to work with face or beak, but they're so wiggly I always have trouble...
He's a little guy, only 500 grams, so was pretty easy to hold still. Wrapping in a towel is a good idea, plus maybe taping their legs together?

-Kathy

casportpony

Spreadsheet Queen
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
9 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Good post. There have been more than one cases of some foreign object in the eye causing this kind of abscess, Normally we think it is from a respiratory infection, but once again that is not always the case for a swollen eye and sinus infection.
This is my second one like this... First one had a piece of grain that the pus formed around. Which reminds me, always a good idea to dissect the pus to look for foreign bodies.

-Kathy

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
Thanks for the post Kathy! Good idea.

caf.gif
Following.

Top Bottom