1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sinus Infections

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by casportpony, Jan 17, 2016.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Seems like there have been quite a few birds with sinus infections, so I thought I start a thread for people to share how they have dealt with them.

I'll start with mine... Last month I found a rooster with a nasty infected eye, but no other signs of respiratory infection, so I removed the pus as best as I could and set him free. Several days later the pus was back, so I did it again, but this time I was more aggressive and manged to get this out of his choanal slit:

[​IMG]

Cause of sinus infection was the foxtail. To get it out I had to apply pressure to the area between his nostril and his eye.

This is a choanal slit - Photo by BYC's Nambroth
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

Edited to add:
    No antibiotics were given.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    This is a great idea! And very useful info.

How did you get him to hold still? I towel wrap when I need to work with face or beak, but they're so wiggly I always have trouble...

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Good post. There have been more than one cases of some foreign object in the eye causing this kind of abscess, Normally we think it is from a respiratory infection, but once again that is not always the case for a swollen eye and sinus infection.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    He's a little guy, only 500 grams, so was pretty easy to hold still. Wrapping in a towel is a good idea, plus maybe taping their legs together?

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This is my second one like this... First one had a piece of grain that the pus formed around. Which reminds me, always a good idea to dissect the pus to look for foreign bodies.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Here is one that belongs to a friend of mine that I treated yesterday:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thanks for the post Kathy! Good idea.

[​IMG] Following.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    December 02 2016
    [​IMG]

December 08 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Interesting video:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by