Sister brought me a baby bird..... **Pics**

I LOVE wrens. Hope it is a wren. Wrens are cool.
cool.png

Going by how the beak looks in the pictures I believe it is some kind of Wren. A starling would be much much bigger and almost black and a sparrow would have a wider beak at the end and wouldn't have baby fluff, sparrows go straight to feathers and never have fluff. We just got 5 baby Wrens in at the wild bird rehabilitation center I work at. Just FYI, Wrens are a federally protected species and it is illegal for anyone but a licensed rehabber to be in possession of them. Wrens are also very tricky, many of the ones we have will be doing great for weeks and weeks and then die, they are very sensitive birds. Is there any way you could get him to a rehabber in your state? Wrens are much more common where you are so a rehabber there will probably know more about them than we do. They would be able to raise him without imprinting him and release him. I don't doubt that you are knowledgeable and careful with him, the stool in the picture looks great for a Wren, but the biggest problem we have is people who keep the birds too long and they are imprinted and getting them released almost never happens because they are too used to people. A rehabber will have lots of other birds for them to socialize with and learn from. Again, I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, he looks healthy, but I am just worried about imprinting. Raising them is fun and you do get attached to them but that is the problem, they get attached to people, not birds, when they are raised in a one on one setting. Good luck to the little guy!

Quote:
You are not stepping on any toes
wink.png

I do not know of a rehab around here. All we have is DNR. I live in a little hick town where there is nothing. Driving 4 hours, for me, is not an option. I am not handling this little guy very much at all because I am trying not to imprint him. He get's his food and bedding changed and that is about it.

Back
Top Bottom