Site navigation

happyhencamper

Songster
Sep 25, 2020
Can someone please direct me to where I can go for information on how to navigate the site?

I know when I first joined, there was a page with information. I am not a social media person, and very unfamiliar with how to navigate and what things mean.

I don’t know what a lot of the things are such as a how and why to use quote.

How to help answer other peoples questions, and be notified of the question when they post it.

How to change the name that appears on my profile when I post?

What tag means?

Quoting is easy!

First click on the quote button on the post you wish to quote...
Screenshot_20230413-055556_Chrome.jpg

This window pops up...(you can slso remove a quote by clicking on that little x at the tip right)
Screenshot_20230413-055631_Chrome.jpg

Then click on insert quotes.
Screenshot_20230413-055707_Chrome.jpg

Tagging is easy... If I want to tag you, I add the @ symbol in front of your screen name....
@Happycooleycamper

Why/when would you want to quote I guess that’s my question. When would I use it. There are times when I want to quote what an article says in my post to get opinions. Can I quote parts of an article? Why would I tag?

Sorry as I said, I am not a social media person, so I’m not sure what a lot of these things are used for or mean

Do you know how I change my name in my profile? I have added a picture, but can’t seem to change my name.
Quoting someone comes in handy if you are talking in a thread. Let's say 3 other people are talking in this thread, but you want to directly talk to one of them about a particular post. I quoted your last post because you asked how to change your screen name. (See the link I provided below)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/changing-your-username.1189761/

As for tagging...let's say you think I might be able to answer a question in another thread. So you would tag me to come to that thread. It will notify me in my Alerts...(100 is a lot of alerts! :lol: )
Screenshot_20230413-061713_Chrome.jpg

Why/when would you want to quote I guess that’s my question. When would I use it.
I'm quoting your right now! When you are in a thread with lots of other comments, it can get confusing on who you are talking to or about. Quoting helps directly answer or communicate with another person.
There are times when I want to quote what an article says in my post to get opinions. Can I quote parts of an article?
I don't think you can directly quote an article. Just use the copy paste feature and maybe a link to the article if needed.
Why would I tag?
Tagging alerts another user to a thread or post. Say you see someone having problems with there chickens health. You may not know how to help them, but you know the person that does! Do to time zones and schedules, the tagged person may not have been able to see the post otherwise.

Examples on when you could tag:
I don't know what is wrong with your chicken, but @So and so does!
Come look at this picture of my dog, @So and so!
@soandso @soandso @soandso, come see my hatch-a-long!
I agree with what @Soandso said.

Back
Top Bottom