Sit'n on the porch

Good morning-- Sorry I have been MIA,,, power has been on and off-- if I remember right it went out Sunday at 5:05pm and came back on on Wednesday and off at 2:30am Saturday and back on almost 4:30ish
I have been dealing with snow--
I left the flock in the coop Wednesday and all day Thursday. I almost lost my whole run.
image_16872193 (1).JPG
I went out on Wednesday and pulled with a hoe all the snow of the wire on the top of the run. Just about killed me, I have about of bronchitis, joy,, but I did it, I got it off. I had to open up a few of the seams and pull it through that way. So due to the top being open I didnt let the flock out.
Thursday we put hard wire cloth up so the flock can come out of the coop but only into the overhand/ roof covered area off the coop. Worked out great!
And we all know it snowed more Friday night, BUT, the KOMO weather guy said it may rain hahahahaha if it doesn't rain by Tues. I 'll go out and remove Fridays snow. over all we got 18inches,, I really think thats enough for the season it can stop now. 😒

image_67238913.JPG

thankful the powers on today :caf
My gosh that's a lot of snow. You have been dumped on. I'm glad you are surviving ok. Yowza!

I noticed several days last week Mr. Rooster messing around in the nesting box. He was making a nest. When I went just a bit ago to fill the water jug, I noticed a hollowed out spot,,, and one of the hens was being extra loud. Up to this point they have been very quite. so I watched while I was changing out the water. She was fluffing and getting comfy and singing the pre-egg laying song. I am glad one of them is getting started. This is the start of their 21st week. I read Welsummers can take as long as 24/25 weeks. Typically, once one gets started the others follow shortly.
That's a good rooster. Well done sir!

This is a video of my khaki Campbell ducks, (5 months old). The girl caught a frog and the boy wants her to share but she doesn't so they have a chase in the garden. I missed the first bit of the chase, but here is what I managed to film.
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

You can add posts to pick up by any sagging, hens won't care there are posts here and there.

None of my business, but I made the same mistake and turns out the issue is that a cloth whose holes are small enough to protect from predators will let the snow stay on the surface and make a sheet, which is too heavy, no matter how well supported. You need a solid surface you can put at an angle to let gravity do the job. A flat roof with small holes is not your friend if you have snow.

If you want clear there is Suntuff clear-ish plastic roofing for sheds & such. Be careful if you go that route there are some brands that die in sunshine so they don't last more than 2 yrs.

If you have some materials you can recycle things like old tin roofing is wonderful because it can be made snow slippery with a little metal paint. Left over roofing shingles (end of lots) can be had cheaply but you need to make a surface like plywood to put them on.

Make sure your angle is over 4 by 12 (4 foot rise for every 12 foot run) steeper is better (for the snow slipping off without you having to shovel) that is minimal slope.
thank you, currently it is to cold to go out and RE-tie together the seams of hard wire cloth, this will be a job for ???? February

My gosh that's a lot of snow. You have been dumped on. I'm glad you are surviving ok. Yowza!
We did get dumped on, I am thankful we built the covered overhang off the coop so the flock can be outside'ish this winter. We are going to the market today. I havent gone since Saturday before thanksgiving. I like to keep things well stocked.

Back
Top Bottom