Sitting Hen Left The Nest- Need Advice.

Mama25

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
I have a hen that has been sitting for 3 days now. She had barely left the nesting box and this morning, she came out and has not gone back in for 1/2 hour now. When I checked them, the eggs were warm still. I candled them quickly and they have bloodlines. I know she has to come out and eat and poop (and she did that already) How long can she be away from them before it bothers the eggs? My concern is, should I take them and put them in the incubator. I don't want to lose them if she leaves them.
Again, if this is normal, I will wait. This is clearly my 1st time with a sitting hen, any advice is appreciated.

Thank you :O)

I hope that you left the eggs. Hens can take a considerable break from setting without causing any injury to the eggs.

Yes, I left the eggs. She returned back to the eggs about 10 minutes ago. I am a newbie to this so I panicked. Thank you for offering advice. Now I know for next time time that the eggs will be fine.

They've been doing this successfully for a long time. Sometimes, momma hens are better off if we just ignore them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom