sitting in the chicken run on byc while my babies explore their new digs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bj taylor, Mar 17, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    my babies are just now 6 wks. this is their first time in the open run. they've been using a corral for two weeks for their outside time, & now they think they're ready for more. the run is U shaped & quite big. there's no top on it so i've been real skittish about letting them loose. i've got a 12 x 18 shade cloth to hang that i think will give them some hawk protection (i think it will help keep them hidden from hawks). i can't hang it until after mon nite. some big storms are supposed to come in & i don't want my shade cloth torn up first thing. i hate waiting.

their vision is phenomenal. a buzzard flew over that was way high. one of them gave a call & everyone froze for several seconds until it had passed. they did it again later when a pair of hawks flew over (i don't think the hawks saw them since they kept cruising past).

i've corraled them back in twice today when i was going to be gone for a bit. i have been using a broom to "herd" them along. that has worked perfectly when they're in the corral, but out in the big open they have decided they don't have to do what i say.

i have to say i love this chicken business. i'm still on the honeymoon - no sickness, injury, or death yet. i will have to pick four of them to go to the cook pot in a couple months.

it's been funny to see who is pretty & who is ugly at any given stage. for the longest the silver laced wyandottes were the winners of the ugly award. they're beautiful now. the barred rocks have recently had the ugly award. they're still somewhat deserving, but they're getting better. the buff orps & black australorps have been cute or pretty all along.

2. Charleymitchell

Charleymitchell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    Aww they sound so cute! I can't wait to get mine in may :)!! Good luck!

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Your idea of the pretty and ugly awards is very interseting. :lol: It's really fun seeing how the chickens change over time. A bit like the whole ugly duckling notion. For some reason, Ii think the chicks look adorable when they've started to grow large bodies, but the comb and wattles haven't developed yet. The head seems to disappear around then, and it's very cute. :p

Good luck, I hope things continue to go well for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by