Sitting in the nesting box... All Day Long

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cuttlefishherder, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Cuttlefishherder

Cuttlefishherder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Tucson AZ
    We have an EE that is recently spending all of her time sitting in the nesting box coming out to eat then going back in, we got an egg from her yesterday but it was smaller and a different shade than normal. If any one has any info on this weird behavior please tell.

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Maybe she's going broody?

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Two of my EE's have been broody and one of them is raising her second batch of chicks now. She kicked the kids loose at 4 weeks old, layed for 2 weeks and went broody again. I've heard EE's aren't often broody, but that's not been my experience. Is your girl suddenly letting loose with huge smelly piles of poo? If she is then you can be sure she's broody and not sick.

4. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    I have a silver sex-link hen that does the same thing. I don't believe she lays any eggs either. i have 4 hens and only get 2 eggs a day so I don't know who is and who isnt. i always have to move her to collect eggs. I know my plymouth barred rock lays bcuz she is the only brown layer, but between the other 2 foghorn legghorns and her I have no clue. I do know she comes out to eat and drink and eats scraps/treats! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by