Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

DH has had a rough few weeks / months with a new computer thingie at work. He is the only tech guy and is building this wonderful software program from free ware / open source because the company doesnt want to spend money on a department that isnt showing a profit. (cuz DH is labeled the handy man and on commission so they don't pay OT)

Anyway he has been doing alot of programing at home and talking it through to fix issues.

I finally told him the other day when he said something that sounded aweful Nasa ish, That "I was out talking to the silkies today and they said "Bawk dawk thwak squak balk" and it made more sense to me than what you just said" He just shook his head. I know he is stressed and I cant help and that makes me stressed. I just wish there was something I could do, you know besides learning that comp talk networking and codeing and what not.

OK... Wow! You asked that question Deb... So I googled a bit, read this!!

UPDATE: As of Sunday (July 18), the Alaska Interagency Coordination Center reported more than 3.5 million acres total burned this year, making this the third largest fire season in Alaska history. Thursday, when the total was just 3.1 million acres, researcher Eric Kasischke commented: “If dry weather continues into August, we will easily reach the 5-million acre mark.” Alaska’s biggest fire year on record claimed 5 million acres in 1956.

Crazy, huh? If you want to read the entire article:

http://www.alaskascienceoutreach.com/index.php/features/sis_partone/burning_question/

big fires with alot of fuel can travel underground for quite a distance following roots.... Its like banking the fire in the fireplace... tuck it in with fuel but just a little bit of oxygen.... it only takes a poke to make it ravenous again

like i said sadly for us its very good for the ecology... we just need to be smart about where and how we build and create a safe space...

Unfortunately All of California is dependent on fire for its ecosystem.

Wow I read the link.... This may kick us over to the fast track for climate change.... If it exposes enough permafrost....
th.gif

weve lost enough water in our aquefers to cause the land to shift... San Andreas usually has water flowing in its cracks... if it "sticks" we are slated for a big earth quake. The kind where pressures build and build and the land snaps..... Last time it did that roads were moved three feet Northridge...

You are not unfamiliar to earthquakes either.... I had a child hood friend that was living on Kodiak Island During that 1964 earthquake that emptied the harbor.... She was about ten at the time....

0.jpg

deb

TJ--

I know what you mean. Get a bunch of code-talking guys together and suddenly my forehead gets very waxy and it all slides over the top of my head. When the eyes glaze over it's time to leave the room.

- - -

X2 on fires are scary.
How big is 5M acres? Can you put it into a "it's the size of this state" configuration? Hard to fathom.

TJ--

I know what you mean. Get a bunch of code-talking guys together and suddenly my forehead gets very waxy and it all slides over the top of my head. When the eyes glaze over it's time to leave the room.

- - -

X2 on fires are scary.
How big is 5M acres? Can you put it into a "it's the size of this state" configuration? Hard to fathom.
# 39​
New Hampshire:
5.74 million acres​

# 40​
Massachusetts:
5.01 million acres​

# 41​
New Jersey:
4.492 million acres​

# 42​
Connecticut:
3.562 million acres​

# 43​
Delaware:
1.251 million acres​

# 44​
Rhode Island:
0.677 million acres​

# 45​
District of Columbia:
0.005 million acres​

DH has had a rough few weeks / months with a new computer thingie at work. He is the only tech guy and is building this wonderful software program from free ware / open source because the company doesnt want to spend money on a department that isnt showing a profit. (cuz DH is labeled the handy man and on commission so they don't pay OT)

Anyway he has been doing alot of programing at home and talking it through to fix issues.

I finally told him the other day when he said something that sounded aweful Nasa ish, That "I was out talking to the silkies today and they said "Bawk dawk thwak squak balk" and it made more sense to me than what you just said" He just shook his head. I know he is stressed and I cant help and that makes me stressed. I just wish there was something I could do, you know besides learning that comp talk networking and codeing and what not.

Believe me I am or was pretty tech savvy and those guys can just stop me in my tracks.....
th.gif
I lost my tech advantage when Windows became the standard... And surprisingly that wasnt too long ago. 1983.... Ok it was a long time ago in computer years... 32 years... Gawd that really makes me feel OLD
old.gif
I got my first computer in 1979 put it together myself.... Intel 8088 NO hard drive either they were too expensive.... just Two 5.25 floppy disk drives.... woo Hoo I could first run the boot disk... Then I could install the software AND run data storage at the same time on the second drive... Heaven... Amber screen too. no color.

deb

OK, I'm going way off the current theme here, but I just remembered a joke my brother recently told me (maybe most of you know it already for which I am sorry!) ...and I'm also sorry if it sounds a bit off color...but we are talking about chickens and roosters.

Here goes:

The rooster hollers: "cock enough for two "

and the ladies reply: "talk, talk, talk "

@perchie.girl - I didn't put my first computer together, but I did get my first one in the mid-80's when I was paid with a Mac (the old boxy one that had only a 5.2 disk drive and no hard drive) for design work I did for a software firm in Palo Alto. Yeah...wasn't THAT long ago, but in computer years it was the ice age!! At the time I worked on one of the first Sun Microsystems computers...pixel work...geez, have things changed since then!! Now I'm sitting in my yard (in the Czech Republic) on a long chair chatting about chickens on my itty bitty (still Mac) laptop...who'da thunk way back in 1985 it would be possible?

Oh! In Czech land huh?

I always thought that if I were gonna live in a city....I would live in Prague. I really like the countryside around there too.

( i am drinking coffee while typing... Do I get a prize?)

OK, I'm going way off the current theme here, but I just remembered a joke my brother recently told me (maybe most of you know it already for which I am sorry!) ...and I'm also sorry if it sounds a bit off color...but we are talking about chickens and roosters.

Here goes:

The rooster hollers: "cock enough for two "

and the ladies reply: "talk, talk, talk "

@perchie.girl - I didn't put my first computer together, but I did get my first one in the mid-80's when I was paid with a Mac (the old boxy one that had only a 5.2 disk drive and no hard drive) for design work I did for a software firm in Palo Alto. Yeah...wasn't THAT long ago, but in computer years it was the ice age!! At the time I worked on one of the first Sun Microsystems computers...pixel work...geez, have things changed since then!! Now I'm sitting in my yard (in the Czech Republic) on a long chair chatting about chickens on my itty bitty (still Mac) laptop...who'da thunk way back in 1985 it would be possible?

cute joke.... I remember those Macs .... when I worked for General Dynamics Space systems they used Macs for database access... One of the engineers programmed them to sound like someone throwing up when it ejected the floppies.... That was pre CAD days for me... I was drawing in pen and ink on Mylar... LOVED pen and ink on Mylar.... So perfect so clean and surprisingly erasable too.

deb

Back
Top Bottom