Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

Yes, I added to the number! there are 9.

The corid treatment allows them to build immunity--they still have cocci and can still get sick from them. Stress will bring the infection back to active with a load of protozoa that will over take their immunity. cocci will also lower egg production and make them weigh less than they should.

For reference, these are my cocci notes:
We started treating the one chicken this evening. Then it started raining, so I'm going to have to wait until minions #3 and 4 dump over everything that filled with rain, so the chickens aren't drinking rain water and I can treat all of them with Corid water for the next five days.
This one is coming to POL. Her flock mate is too. I have three LF pullets I've been waiting on to start laying (one to start back to laying after a hawk scare). My big girls are going through their 18-mo molt. So.....I'll treat everyone; that way I can eliminate Coccidiosis and worms as culprits.
Cocci notes copied and pasted on my "Coccidiosis in Chicks" document. =)

Thanks.

I have never used any medication of any kind with my poultry...so know nothing about it.

Wish I could say the same. DH is into "protecting our investment". Plus, I live where nothing ever dies (well, not much); if we got the extreme cold you get every year, that'd be almost like starting over.
It would also be like....Tea Chick's not coming outside again; how can she stay in the house from July to May????

Thanks.

I have never used any medication of any kind with my poultry...so know nothing about it.

Wish I could say the same.  DH is into "protecting our investment".  Plus, I live where nothing ever dies (well, not much); if we got the extreme cold you get every year, that'd be almost like starting over.
It would also be like....Tea Chick's not coming outside again; how can she stay in the house from July to May????

I would think that the frozen ground would wipe stuff out..... But I know a number of people up here use lots of different medications on their flocks. :confused: we even have a fair number of the mites and such. :sick i really hope I don't get those.

I think it is mostly two things
1. Just dumb luck, if you get hit with all the nasties that are out there, or not
and
2. Your philosophy about how to treat your poultry.

I am not completely sure what I would do if a large percentage of my flock started dropping dead.

Eek! And all that. Horridly traumatic definitely.

I would think that the frozen ground would wipe stuff out..... But I know a number of people up here use lots of different medications on their flocks.
hu.gif
we even have a fair number of the mites and such.
sickbyc.gif
i really hope I don't get those.

1. Just dumb luck, if you get hit with all the nasties that are out there, or not
and

I am not completely sure what I would do if a large percentage of my flock started dropping dead.

I have used corid, worm medicine and poultry dust. I use DE in the coops. I have had mites, lice cocci and worms here so it was needed.

It does make a difference in what you do if spending hundreds of dollars on chicks and then have most of them die.

Quote: I would think that the frozen ground would wipe stuff out..... But I know a number of people up here use lots of different medications on their flocks.
hu.gif
sickbyc.gif

and

Here is a great article Just about the parasite.

http://naturalhealthtechniques.com/specificdiseasescoccidia_filescoccidia.htm

I have dealt with lice in chickens and Mange on my horse as well as worms.... I dont do vets because I simply cant afford a visit. I would use Ivermectin for everyone.... Horse Goats Chickens and dogs. Heart guard for dogs has Ivermedtin in it. Wormers for horses are what I can get and there is an all ivermectin wormer... its in paste form The goats love it I had to beat them off when I suspected an issue.... LOL.

Doing fecal tests once a year is a great way to find out the parasite load in your animals. Finding out what it is, is your first step. Treating your animals is simple....

Once you have treated your animals Biosecurity is your best defense. I am not a fan of Diatomaceous earth as a panacea.... But I believe in using it as a defensive tactic or fortification. But I also worry about them breathing it.... I have it but it sits in an Air tight barrel waiting for application...

Extreme dry hot climates and extreme Cold climates are two places which will help you defend.... But the parasites live in the intestins where its nice and warm and there is lots of food.

For what its worht ivermectin will also treat chewing and sucking insect infestation.... Not the eggs and larvae that are out in the yard. I personally will get what ever is needed according to what the lab tests say.

So far so good.... My only flock killer is on four feet....

deb

I would think that the frozen ground would wipe stuff out..... But I know a number of people up here use lots of different medications on their flocks.
hu.gif
sickbyc.gif

and

Yeah, I agree with your "mostly two things". We do things organic, but we're not going to let half or more of our chickens die from something like coccidiosis and/or worms. That's mostly all we treat for. DH wants to get antibiotics; I don't want to. I haven't had to come right out and say that, and I hope I don't have to.
We've lost a third of the birds we've had to illness. Almost entirely to coccidiosis and a few to some mystery thing(s). That's why we're using medications. If we just had the occasional chicken get sick and die and that was it, we probably wouldn't use anything either.
Everything thrives here....and feeds off of each other.
idunno.gif

Here is a great article Just about the parasite.

http://naturalhealthtechniques.com/specificdiseasescoccidia_filescoccidia.htm

I have dealt with lice in chickens and Mange on my horse as well as worms.... I dont do vets because I simply cant afford a visit. I would use Ivermectin for everyone.... Horse Goats Chickens and dogs. Heart guard for dogs has Ivermedtin in it. Wormers for horses are what I can get and there is an all ivermectin wormer... its in paste form The goats love it I had to beat them off when I suspected an issue.... LOL.

Doing fecal tests once a year is a great way to find out the parasite load in your animals. Finding out what it is, is your first step. Treating your animals is simple....

Once you have treated your animals Biosecurity is your best defense. I am not a fan of Diatomaceous earth as a panacea.... But I believe in using it as a defensive tactic or fortification. But I also worry about them breathing it.... I have it but it sits in an Air tight barrel waiting for application...

Extreme dry hot climates and extreme Cold climates are two places which will help you defend.... But the parasites live in the intestins where its nice and warm and there is lots of food.

For what its worht ivermectin will also treat chewing and sucking insect infestation.... Not the eggs and larvae that are out in the yard. I personally will get what ever is needed according to what the lab tests say.

So far so good.... My only flock killer is on four feet....

deb

Thanks. I read the article.
I need to check with the local community college and the high school (the HS has an ag program; IDK about the college). Maybe they offer them for free.

I lost one of my big chicks. It looked like she ended up on the bottom of the pile last night. IDK what's wrong.
Here's everything that's been going on with them:
The arrived and I lost one to whiney chick disease (this one male wouldn't stop whining; he even annoyed the other chicks). That was about the third day after they arrived.
At about a week old, I started putting them in the juvenile coop. One looked sick, I treated all of them with Corid. I lost six in that battle.
Since then, two have developed a growth on their beak. It doesn't seem to hurt them (how would you know with chickens? they don't pull away when I touch it).
The other night, I was checking on the chickens after dark and there was a rat in the juvenile coop! DH and I went out later and set a trap; in the morning, DH said, "Wow! That's a big rat!"
I also pushed litter into the holes she was coming out of.
And one got a growth on her eyelid:

This is the one I found in the litter in the corner where the chicks sleep this morning. She wasn't crammed up in the corner; it looked like she was part of the litter they were sleeping on last night.
Now, one of the little babies is getting a growth (or sore???) on the side of her mouth.
Yesterday morning, I saw that the holes the rat was coming in and out of was reopened. So, we're going to set another trap tonight, b/c I think there may be another rat.
What is this?!?!?!? And what do I do about it?
barnie.gif

Is this something that the rats could be causing somehow? Directly, like by biting the chicks? Or indirectly, like by some germ or parasite?

I lost one of my big chicks. It looked like she ended up on the bottom of the pile last night. IDK what's wrong.
Here's everything that's been going on with them:
The arrived and I lost one to whiney chick disease (this one male wouldn't stop whining; he even annoyed the other chicks). That was about the third day after they arrived.
At about a week old, I started putting them in the juvenile coop. One looked sick, I treated all of them with Corid. I lost six in that battle.
Since then, two have developed a growth on their beak. It doesn't seem to hurt them (how would you know with chickens? they don't pull away when I touch it).
The other night, I was checking on the chickens after dark and there was a rat in the juvenile coop! DH and I went out later and set a trap; in the morning, DH said, "Wow! That's a big rat!"
I also pushed litter into the holes she was coming out of.
And one got a growth on her eyelid:

This is the one I found in the litter in the corner where the chicks sleep this morning. She wasn't crammed up in the corner; it looked like she was part of the litter they were sleeping on last night.
Now, one of the little babies is getting a growth (or sore???) on the side of her mouth.
Yesterday morning, I saw that the holes the rat was coming in and out of was reopened. So, we're going to set another trap tonight, b/c I think there may be another rat.
What is this?!?!?!? And what do I do about it?
barnie.gif

Is this something that the rats could be causing somehow? Directly, like by biting the chicks? Or indirectly, like by some germ or parasite?
hugs.gif
I am so sorry!

Rats can kill chicks but not usually. They more often eat their chicken feed...
somad.gif

I hope they get better soon!

Teachick
hugs.gif
so sorry you are having issues. Did you look inside the chicks mouth? Could it be canker? I read some about it a while back but I don't know if that could be it. I am not too much on the disease side. Castportpony is really good. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom