Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

hugs.gif
Sorry for your loss!!!

Thank you!!! That was immensely helpful!!!!!
I'm
ep.gif
@ the range of "normal" poo! I'll show DD; I think it was just a cecal poo.

I think every chicken owner should see that thread; it would have saved me a lot of worry if I had known that the slightest red in the poo didn't mean coccidiosis and what the range of normal really is!

I have Wazzine. I'd just go ahead and worm everyone. I wormed one a while back b/c he was really bad, but he was the only one who looked like he needed it. (He free ranges and didn't really hang around with anyone.) But everyone is pretty much due to be wormed anyway.
DD had her in the brooder all day yesterday and the day before, but no signs of worms. Does that matter? If they have worms, they show up in the poo, don't they?

Corid, really? I'm sure it's not coccidiosis. I've had her long enough that she would have already gotten it and gotten over it. We bought her flock in April and they've been free ranging for more than a couple of months (through several rainy spells).
Worming makes sense and they're pretty much due anyway.
Who is @casportpony ?
Thank you very much for the advice! =)

Only two of the 12 strains of cocci have blood in the poo. If there ever has been cocci at your place, it is still there. I have read about cocci killing older hens too. It is not as likely to kill them but it still can make them sickly. It is an easy treatment and along with worming is a reasonable first step as it is not as invasive or dangerous as anti biotics.

There is cocci at my place so I treat the older hens every month or so.

Quote:
It isn't cecal poo is it? let me look for the poo thread for you.
(Only on BYC, right? Well,,, hopefully we are the only forum with poo threads.)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

It sounds like you should use some wazzine and worm her and her flock mates the color of the poo sounds like worms to me. The chicks need to be wormed regularly. I just wormed 130+ birds with Ivermectin.
I would go for a course of corid and then worm them with valbazen.

@casportpony says the poo pictures are silly and unless you are getting nice green with white solid manure for most of their bowl movements, there is something wrong.

Every 7 is supposed to be a cecal poo but it is a light brown color; creamy yellow is not good.
That chart has many that I consider to be abnormal.

This cecal poop is on that chart and listed as normal, but I can assure you it is not normal. There were six *very* sick peachicks at the feedstore with poop like this. Three died, so I sent their bodies to UC Davis for necropsies and the cause of death was severe coccidiosis.

This color, the consistency and foam are not normal. Many other pictures on that page don't look normal to me either.
big_smile.png
FWIW, an avian vet told me that foamy poop like this could be a sign that that have a protozoa. Coccidiosis, blackhead and giardia - all protozoas.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Only two of the 12 strains of cocci have blood in the poo. If there ever has been cocci at your place, it is still there. I have read about cocci killing older hens too. It is not as likely to kill them but it still can make them sickly. It is an easy treatment and along with worming is a reasonable first step as it is not as invasive or dangerous as anti biotics.

There is cocci at my place so I treat the older hens every month or so.

I thought there were only 9 strains of cocci.
ep.gif

I do have cocci at my place.
barnie.gif
That's why I treated my last batch of chicks as soon as they had access to the ground. (So I have Corid on hand and already made up
roll.png
. I don't like having to have medications on hand at all times like that.)

Once a month? I thought they were immune once they got it and got over it.

I'm not arguing with you. I intend to do what you've suggested. I hate to medicate a chicken (or person or anyone) unnecessarily, so I'm just making sure about whether it's absolutely necessary. If she has been free ranging on my land (and she has for months), then she's already been exposed to cocci. If she's been exposed, then she's immune. Isn't that the way this works? I hate that I can't trust what I read online regardless of the source(s).
he.gif

I try to hard to take good care of my animals and to give them as natural a life as possible to be thwarted by the intro-web!!!
hide.gif
Rant over. I'm sorry. I'm getting down off my soap box now.

Thanks tea chick. I have only had one hen go broody since I got chickens and I would like more of them! So we shall see. lol

I want broody hens too. I had one broody, but she was unsuccessful (that was my fault).

That chart has many that I consider to be abnormal.

This cecal poop is on that chart and listed as normal, but I can assure you it is not normal. There were six *very* sick peachicks at the feedstore with poop like this. Three died, so I sent their bodies to UC Davis for necropsies and the cause of death was severe coccidiosis.

This color, the consistency and foam are not normal. Many other pictures on that page don't look normal to me either.
big_smile.png
FWIW, an avian vet told me that foamy poop like this could be a sign that that have a protozoa. Coccidiosis, blackhead and giardia - all protozoas.

-Kathy

Thank you very much!!! =)

Yup!
sickbyc.gif

The poop? Sorry... Guess you don't want to see my necropsy pictures then, lol.
wink.png

-Kathy

Hehehe

I thought there were only 9 strains of cocci.
ep.gif

I do have cocci at my place.
barnie.gif
That's why I treated my last batch of chicks as soon as they had access to the ground. (So I have Corid on hand and already made up
roll.png
. I don't like having to have medications on hand at all times like that.)

Once a month? I thought they were immune once they got it and got over it.

I'm not arguing with you. I intend to do what you've suggested. I hate to medicate a chicken (or person or anyone) unnecessarily, so I'm just making sure about whether it's absolutely necessary. If she has been free ranging on my land (and she has for months), then she's already been exposed to cocci. If she's been exposed, then she's immune. Isn't that the way this works? I hate that I can't trust what I read online regardless of the source(s).
he.gif
Yes, I added to the number! there are 9.

The corid treatment allows them to build immunity--they still have cocci and can still get sick from them. Stress will bring the infection back to active with a load of protozoa that will over take their immunity. cocci will also lower egg production and make them weigh less than they should.

For reference, these are my cocci notes:

Quote:

@ronott1

How can you ever eat the eggs, if they are medicated every month?

There is no with draw period for corid. It is a thiamine disrupt-er and works only in the intestine. You can eat both the chicken and the eggs.

I got into a weird posting situation with someone that thought it had to be an anti biotic. It is not. It kills the cocci cysts by not letting them eat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom