Six days in a Chipper/Shredder!

RayinGa

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 16, 2011
A few weeks ago my girlfriend and her son were over one morning. He was out in the coop/run looking at the chicks. When I got home at 6:00 all the hens came running to me. I started looking around and realized he had left the gate open to the coop. 1 of my RIR hens was missing. No feathers no hen nothing. I assumed a hawk had gotten her. 6 days later I hear something in the shed about 10 feet from the coop and assuming it was a possum or coon I started pulling everything out of the shed. Down in the plastic shoot of my chipper/shredder is the RIR hen alive after 6 days with no food or water. I put her in the coop and she drank about a quart of water and ate about a pound of food, and let all the other hens know she was the leader of the pack. I guess she was mad. Haha

WOW. Good luck with all in the future. I have a great nefew that I worry about when he goes in the coop but you have to let them be resposible and all that. He loves to sit in the coop with the chickens (about 10 weeks). So far so good. There are chicks that will have nothing to do with me but love to sit in his lap. Go figure!

Last edited:
What a lucky hen! I padlock all my runs now, because of incidents like that.

Back
Top Bottom