Six Double Yolkers

Capvin

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Lake Placid, FL
What are the chances of finding half a dozen double yolk eggs in a single egg box purchased from a store. The BBC is reporting that two friends were cooking and in the process were cracking eggs in a mixing bowl and the first four eggs they cracked were all double yolkers. According to some Brit egg info service only one in every thousand eggs on average is a double yolker. Then the likelihood of finding four in a row is one in one trillion...12 zeroes. The article then went on to discuss how double yolkers are made and that most of them are made by young hens, 20 to 28 weeks old.

Quote:
Wow- that is something!
If I am ever to get a double yolker from any of my 5 girls they better start laying eggs soon then-they will be 25 weeks Wednesday, so then they would only have about 3 or so weeks left to lay double yolks! LOL!!!
ya.gif

for about a week straight I had anywhere from 1 to 4 in one day (every day) about 2 weeks after my NHR's started laying. I think they were 25 weeks old the week they laid all those doubles. I have not had another in 6 months. I hear though it is extremely rare to find them in cartons from the store. I can only remember 2 times in my life I had them from the store (the first 35 years of my life)

Last edited:
Ive gotten quite a few double yolks from both my chickens and my quail, its seems they lay some right around the time they first start laying eggs. I thought about incubating some but a friend said they wouldnt hatch so I never tried, anyone every try with any success?

I have one chicken that has given me 10 double yolkers. Haven't had any in a couple of weeks so maybe she got tired of straining so much to get that big thing out.
ep.gif
I imagine she screams every time she lays a double yolker.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom