Six week chick falling back on haunches/weak

Hi, I am curious about your chick. Did she improve further?
I have a chick that is about 7weeks old, and I have noticed that she/he seems to be a bit weak in the legs. She/he can still walk just fine, however it seems that it may have taken a jump and possibly landed wrong. I can't find anything physically that would prove the injury (no noticle swelling, or anything obvious)
However I notice that when lifting the chick up, the toes curl on both feet when I lift it up to examine the legs.
It's frustrating because I would love to know how to heal this chick, but don't know where to start.
Wouldn't a chick show leg issues right off the bat if it was a nutritional deficiency?
I have the whole group on medicated chick food.

Thanks yes she is improving slightly every day. She actually stands now although she is never totally upright. She can run around but does get exhausted and will flop down before righting herself. I’m still unsure what the problem is but I’m going to give her whatever time she needs because she’s such a little fighter. She is a lot smaller now than her peers which makes me think maybe it was a disease such as Mareks but none of the others have shown any signs and her sister (nurse that has been with her full time has doubled in size because they eat 24hours a day).
Sounds like you’re in the same boat as me! I think it’s best to give them time as long as they’re not suffering and hopefully they’ll come good. Good luck!

Hi, I am curious about your chick. Did she improve further?
I have a chick that is about 7weeks old, and I have noticed that she/he seems to be a bit weak in the legs. She/he can still walk just fine, however it seems that it may have taken a jump and possibly landed wrong. I can't find anything physically that would prove the injury (no noticle swelling, or anything obvious)
However I notice that when lifting the chick up, the toes curl on both feet when I lift it up to examine the legs.
It's frustrating because I would love to know how to heal this chick, but don't know where to start.
Wouldn't a chick show leg issues right off the bat if it was a nutritional deficiency?
I have the whole group on medicated chick food.
It sounds like your chick might benefit from some B complex vitamins that include riboflavin. Riboflavin deficiency can cause curling under toes and walking on hocks. You can crush a B complex tablet on it’s feed or feed a small amount of chopped beef liver daily.

It sounds like your chick might benefit from some B complex vitamins that include riboflavin. Riboflavin deficiency can cause curling under toes and walking on hocks. You can crush a B complex tablet on it’s feed or feed a small amount of chopped beef liver daily.
Ok, I will try that. Thank you

Thanks yes she is improving slightly every day. She actually stands now although she is never totally upright. She can run around but does get exhausted and will flop down before righting herself. I’m still unsure what the problem is but I’m going to give her whatever time she needs because she’s such a little fighter. She is a lot smaller now than her peers which makes me think maybe it was a disease such as Mareks but none of the others have shown any signs and her sister (nurse that has been with her full time has doubled in size because they eat 24hours a day).
Sounds like you’re in the same boat as me! I think it’s best to give them time as long as they’re not suffering and hopefully they’ll come good. Good luck!
Thank you

Well I went to check on her today, and she is walking on her haunches. I live in a subdivision that does not allow chickens, so I have to travel to our farm all the time. I mistakenly thought nutrition drench had vitamin b in it, however I was wrong. So off I go to the drug store to get some!!
I think I will get the liquid if I can find it.

Today she is up and best she’s been since the mysterious event. She stays up and can actually manage to walk uphill as well. So happy I persisted. She’s still only half the size of her peers but I think she will now start to catch up. Still feeding meal worms full of vegemite along with regular chicken grower.

That is good to hear. Vegemite has riboflavin in it. Ground beef and liver also has riboflavin. NutriDrench in the US also has no riboflavin, so good to know.

1F91B51F-B2D1-4F62-BCBA-5E40DC56ABA8.jpeg
Here is Vegemite with Nursey looking after her as usual

Back
Top Bottom