Six week old chicks are dying one at a time from something quick and I need help!

You can run a test on your dirt where the chicks have been playing. Take a kitchen strainer and scoop some dry dirt. Shake it and what's left will be small sand-size stones, maybe some larger. If your dirt doesn't contain these fine stones, and they need to be sharp-edged, not rounded, then your soil doesn't contain adequate grit and you will need to buy some granite grit. It comes in chick grade and adult chicken grade. Chicks under three months need the chick grit as the adult grit is too large.

Chick with impacted crops will be lethargic, extending their necks, gaping their beaks. The crops will feel hard and lumpy. If in doubt, treat with the oil. It won't hurt if they don't have crop issues. It will simply pass through.
I will check the dirt tomorrow. We were able to check 5 of the chicks and their crops all felt like they were normal, not hard or full feeling. I did mix quite a bit of coconut oil in some chick starter to make a mash for them. That way if they are constipated, we can fix that. And no more treats for them. I honestly don't think it's impacted crops because mine don't have those symptoms. They are seriously energetic and totally fine in the evening and then one is dead or almost dead in the morning. The one I isolated this morning died sometime in the afternoon :-(

Any other ideas what it may be?

Coccidiosis is another problem that could be the reason you are losing chicks. It typically causes chicks to stop eating, have runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood, stand hunched or puffed up, and become lethargic. Corid or amprollium from your feed store is the usual treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days as the only source of water, changed daily.

Coccidiosis is another problem that could be the reason you are losing chicks. It typically causes chicks to stop eating, have runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood, stand hunched or puffed up, and become lethargic. Corid or amprollium from your feed store is the usual treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days as the only source of water, changed daily.
Is that an antibiotic?

No, Corid (amprollium) is a thiamine inhibitor that can treat all strains of coccidia in chickens. You can get it from most feed stores in powder or liquid form to add to the water.

Chicken grit and oyster shells are two different things.
*Chicken grit sits in the crop and grinds the food up like teeth do for easier digestion.
*Oyster shells supply calcium so they wont have problems with their eggs.

Older chickens usually find the grit they need outside in the dirt, but if you feel like they aren't getting enough you can sprinkle some in their run.

Oyster shells don't need to be given until the chickens are old enough to lay eggs.

I hope you can figure out why your chicks are dying. I have had a similar problem. :hit

Well, no one died last night and everyone seems to be energetic this evening. Hopefully, things will stay that way. We have 4 week olds that are almost ready to join them, but we keep them inside until we are sure it's safe.

Chicken grit and oyster shells are two different things.
*Chicken grit sits in the crop and grinds the food up like teeth do for easier digestion.
*Oyster shells supply calcium so they wont have problems with their eggs.

Older chickens usually find the grit they need outside in the dirt, but if you feel like they aren't getting enough you can sprinkle some in their run.

Oyster shells don't need to be given until the chickens are old enough to lay eggs.

I hope you can figure out why your chicks are dying. I have had a similar problem. :hit

Thanks! We have about 8 hens that are laying, which is why we have the oyster shell out. Picked up some grit today to add to their scratch just in case they need it. I won't give the chicks any more treats until they are older and out in the regular yard. Their crops seem normal, so I don't think that was it, but now that I know better, I'll do better.

Back
Top Bottom