Six week old chicks are dying one at a time from something quick and I need help!

Marshaharrell

Chirping
Apr 4, 2018
Rougemont NC
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
6 week old chick, same size as the others in the group(17). I believe the one sick now is a Welsummer, but we got 5 different breeds from the hatchery, so could be another breed

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

The chicks seem fine, eating drinking and moving around in the evening, but then we find one acting really sick or dead in the morning. The current sick chick cannot stand up, it falls over. I did get it to drink by putting the water close and dipping her beak.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Just discovered this morning, so probably during the night.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

The other ones we have found dead after they seemed fine the night before. 3 have died. The ones that are still alive act normal. We assumed the first two were from piling, so we added another heat lamp, so they could spread out at night.

We do have some pullets in another chicken yard who are exhibiting cold symptoms--mainly matted, running eyes, but they are not in contact with these chicks at all and will be on a separate thread once I am home to take pictures.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Nothing

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

It seemed to be eating yesterday(chick starter and occasional treat of rice and chopped up apples) and it is drinking water with probiotics added in the chicken house. I have moved it inside and it's been given water with sugar and chick starter.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

I haven't been able to see its poop since we moved it in.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Quarantine and sugar water.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Treat myself and hopefully prevent this from spreading more.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Posted

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

The chicks were moved outside about 10 days ago. They are in a wooden playhouse converted into a chicken house, with pine shavings on the floor and two heat lamps. There is a door to a kennel that is connected so they can be outside when they like. This enclosure is inside one of our regular chicken yards, so they can experience the older chickens.

Just to add--Most of our chicks received the Marek's disease vaccine at 1 day old before they were shipped. We did get three chicks from a teacher at our school who hatched them who did not receive the vaccine. This one appears to be a Welsummer though and those WERE vaccinated.

I have on hand Vet RX, probiotics and oxytetracycline 500 mg pills I can crush. Should be receiving Denagard in the next few day as well.

Please help me help these chicks. We just started out within the last year and I love my chickens!

Last edited:
Coccidiosis is another problem that could be the reason you are losing chicks. It typically causes chicks to stop eating, have runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood, stand hunched or puffed up, and become lethargic. Corid or amprollium from your feed store is the usual treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days as the only source of water, changed daily.

If your chicks are not on dirt soil and you've been feeding them scratch and raw apples, then I feel pretty certain that your chicks have been dying from impacted crops and constipation.

I would immediately treat all the remaining chicks with a teaspoon of coconut oil each. Use the solid form as it's easiest and safest, and put tiny bits into their beaks until you get a full teaspoon into each chick. Massage the crop gently to disperse the oil.

Chick grit will look like ordinary sand. As chickens get older and larger, they will pick up larger particles, averaging around an eighth inch diameter. Chickens need grit in their gizzards to grind up their food. Grit won't dissolve in water. Oyster shell does, so it can't be used as grit.

I have been giving them scratch. Is that grit? I don't give my older ones anything other than feed, scratch, treats and oyster shell. Am I missing something?
They need chick grit.
chick_grit_large.jpg

grit.jpg

You can run a test on your dirt where the chicks have been playing. Take a kitchen strainer and scoop some dry dirt. Shake it and what's left will be small sand-size stones, maybe some larger. If your dirt doesn't contain these fine stones, and they need to be sharp-edged, not rounded, then your soil doesn't contain adequate grit and you will need to buy some granite grit. It comes in chick grade and adult chicken grade. Chicks under three months need the chick grit as the adult grit is too large.

Chick with impacted crops will be lethargic, extending their necks, gaping their beaks. The crops will feel hard and lumpy. If in doubt, treat with the oil. It won't hurt if they don't have crop issues. It will simply pass through.

Chicken grit and oyster shells are two different things.
*Chicken grit sits in the crop and grinds the food up like teeth do for easier digestion.
*Oyster shells supply calcium so they wont have problems with their eggs.

Older chickens usually find the grit they need outside in the dirt, but if you feel like they aren't getting enough you can sprinkle some in their run.

Oyster shells don't need to be given until the chickens are old enough to lay eggs.

I hope you can figure out why your chicks are dying. I have had a similar problem. :hit

Thanks! We have about 8 hens that are laying, which is why we have the oyster shell out. Picked up some grit today to add to their scratch just in case they need it. I won't give the chicks any more treats until they are older and out in the regular yard. Their crops seem normal, so I don't think that was it, but now that I know better, I'll do better.

Chicken grit and oyster shells are two different things.
*Chicken grit sits in the crop and grinds the food up like teeth do for easier digestion.
*Oyster shells supply calcium so they wont have problems with their eggs.

Older chickens usually find the grit they need outside in the dirt, but if you feel like they aren't getting enough you can sprinkle some in their run.

Oyster shells don't need to be given until the chickens are old enough to lay eggs.

I hope you can figure out why your chicks are dying. I have had a similar problem. :hit

Back
Top Bottom