size comparison?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Madcap621, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    How do regular Coturnix [not jumbo] compare in size to Bob Whites? What would be a minimum size cage for a Coturnix rooster and 4 or 5 hens? Is that ratio OK for breeding? Egg production? I am hoping to have a small flock for eggs and meat for my family.

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I think they are the same size.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
  3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    bobwhites are larger. A large rabbit hutch would suffice, or guinea pig hutch for what you are looking for.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Jumbo Coturnix Would Be Close In Size The Standard Bob Whites, Any Other Strain Of Bob Would Be Larger--- Some Exponentially Larger. Coturnix 1:5 Seems To Be The Best Ration. Rule Of Thumb Space For Coturnix 1 Sg/ft Per Bird But Many Do Fine With Less. Bob Hen= 60 Eggs A Yr Laid In 2 Clutches. Coturnix Hen= 300 Eggs Per Yr All Yr Round If Kept Under Proper Conditions. As For Eggs As A Food Source.... If You Use Eggs Any At All Its Likely This 1:5 Will Not Be Able To Be Used As Your Only Egg Source. While They Are Prolific Layers It Takes 5 Or 6 Coturnix Eggs To Equal 1 Chicken Egg. Given The 1:5 Ration You Could Expect 4 A Day Within Reason.... Maybe 30 A Week. The Equivalent Of 1/2 Doz Chicken Eggs. Now If Your Setting Those Fertile Eggs For Meat Quail... Thats A Lil Different Story. Coturnix Can Multiply Like Rabbits, So It Could Provide A Decent Amount Of Birds To Be Used As A Meat Source

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by