size of heritage breeds

ValerieJean

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
I have Rhode Island Reds, Buffed Orpingtons and Plymouth Barred Rocks. According to the 'books' they are supposed to be a certain sizes. The Rhode's 6.5 pounds, the Rocks 7.5 pounds, the Orps 8 pounds.

Now when I weighed them last fall they definitely fell short of those 'standards', some managed to come close but definitely short.

So, is that because they've been breed for show vs meat, or that until recently people haven't been breeding them to keep up the breed or what? Did I manage to get a poor supplier?

I do intend to perfect the breeding thing and get the flock up to larger sizes. Got my chicks this year from someone else so we'll see how large they are this time.

Any ideas?

Quote:
First did you get them from a hatchery or a breeder?
Second are you talking about Roosters or Hens?

If you got your birds from a hatchery then they will for the most part will not meet Standard in size, type, color etc.
If you got them from a good breeder, what are you feeding them?

There is a good thread on Heritage here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=400344

Chris

Last edited:
What Chris said. If you got them from a hatchery, they just turn out birds to sell. They do not breed to improve anything except perhaps egg production.

Yeah, a hatchery changes a LOT. Even if you got yours from a feedstore or local person, they're still originating from a hatchery.

The Brahma SOP calls for 9 lb hens. . . . Mine are 5 lbs.
wink.png

I have to comment because until I went to my first show, I had no idea what real Barred Rocks look like. Everyone talks about the barring being different, but man what a size difference. Those show birds are huge! And rightly so, since that is the standard... Most hatchery birds are about 1/2 the size of the real deal, from what I've seen...

Back
Top Bottom