Size wire for bottom

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Graymond, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Graymond

Graymond New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    What sized wire should I use for the bottom of a brooder, grow out pen, or breeding pair of bantams?

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I always use solid bottoms for my chickens.

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:i like one by one poop falls right throughfor my older birds
    brooder 1\\2 by 1\\2

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I use 1/2" hardware cloth. The poop won't fall through in its own, but the chickens walking and scratching will work it through. Just make sure you can easily rake under it.

5. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:poop eem sit on 1\\2 '' whire and dosent fall through till bird steps on it

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Quote:Agree with the solid bottom in brooder, covered with shavings. Don't like the idea of young ones walking on wire or poop sticking to it.
    Erik

7. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Agree with the solid bottom in brooder, covered with shavings. Don't like the idea of young ones walking on wire or poop sticking to it.
    Erik

whire bottoms on brooders works great poop just falls to the ground and u clean up under the coop instead haveing to take birds out and clean out shaveings

8. Graymond

Graymond New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    Thanks you to everyone who answered my question.

Many people use wire brooders with great success. Your comments really didn't contribute to the topic or question asked.....

9. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Quote:I was only giving "my opinion" as to why I like solid bottom, rather than wire. Sorry if ya didn't like my thoughts on it and "that it didn't contribute to the topic or question asked"! I was under the impression that alot of people read these posts and the replys from folks to learn from. Someone may want to hear why some people use wire and others don't. Again, Just my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by