Sizes of Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by E.M. Silkies, Sep 28, 2010.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Is there a bantam Silkie and a "standard" Silkie? I don't really think there is a standard size but do some tend to be bigger than others? The SOP gives the weights but I'm just not convinced...Some seem to be huge while others look tiny.

2. SilkiePuff

SilkiePuff Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    there is a standard silkie size in Germany.. here is a link from where I saw it.. i thought it was very interesting.. scroll down.. its a picture of two white silkies you can totally see the size difference.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Silkies/BRKSilkies.html

hope that helps some.. It also says that the american standard goes for the bantam size, not the standard size.

3. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    That did help, thanks! I was thinking that the Silkies here were a little bigger than an actual bantam and that page says that Silkies here are a medium between the bantam and standard. Thanks!!

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Silkies are available in both large fowl and bantam sizes in Europe, Australia, New Zealand; not sure about Asia. The size we have in the US is larger than non-US standards call for bantmas, but smaller than their large fowl.

There is no set size for bantams. Bantam weights vary from dutch (21 oz cocks) to shamo & malay (44 oz cocks). In contrast, the standard for silkie cocks is 36 oz.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by