Bantam chicks same size as standard chicks??

ozarkmamabear

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2022
I ordered 8 standard chicks with 4 bantams (all of different breeds) and only 2 bantams are noticeably smaller. Is it normal for some bantams to be the same size as standard chicks still by 3 weeks old? I'm trying to distinguish between a standard and a bantam green queen (I got 1 of each) and trying to identify the bantam EE out of the lot. I think I may have pinned it down after tons of research, but I'm still confused as to why the EE and 1 of the Green Queens (green egger) are not smaller than the standard chicks since they are bantams. Is that normal?!?

I ordered 8 standard chicks with 4 bantams (all of different breeds) and only 2 bantams are noticeably smaller. Is it normal for some bantams to be the same size as standard chicks still by 3 weeks old? I'm trying to distinguish between a standard and a bantam green queen (I got 1 of each) and trying to identify the bantam EE out of the lot. I think I may have pinned it down after tons of research, but I'm still confused as to why the EE and 1 of the Green Queens (green egger) are not smaller than the standard chicks since they are bantams. Is that normal?!?
I see this post was from May - what happened? How did their growing progress? I have EE, green queen, Welsummer and d’Uccle bantams arriving soon and am very curious about the size the chicks will be vs. standard chickens.

The thread starter wasn’t online for some time. So maybe this is any help:

in general bantam chicks are smaller than normal sized chicks. A bantam chick of a few days old can be the same size as a newly hatched normal sized chick.

In my last hatch I had tiny Dutch bantams and regular sized bantams.
In my situation the adult size of the regukar sized bantams is twice the size of the adult Dutch.
There was a small difference from the start. After three weeks the difference got bigger and after 12 weeks the normals sized bantams were almost twice the size of the tiny Dutch. And ss big as the adult Dutch.

Just botn: The white chick and the one with the eye stripe are Dutch. Thd dark ones with the white heads are bantam vorwerks.
IMG_1466.jpeg

The one with the white belly hatched one/two says later. A bantam red Sussex. And was just as small as the two days old Dutch.
IMG_1512.jpeg

2 months later;
The 2 big ones are the red porcelain bantam Sussex. The white partidge Dutch on the left and the blue partridge Dutch right from the 2 Sussex are much smaller by now.
IMG_1948.jpeg

Oh they’re precious! That was helpful - thank you! I’m still trying to determine if my little hens would like a narrower roosting bar, like 2-3”. What do yours like? I’m thinking I should make the treads on their ramp closer too. Any thoughts?

Oh they’re precious! That was helpful - thank you! I’m still trying to determine if my little hens would like a narrower roosting bar, like 2-3”. What do yours like? I’m thinking I should make the treads on their ramp closer too. Any thoughts?
Bantams are lighter and many are quite supple compared to normal sized chickens (in general). But within the bantam population there are many differences too. My experience is mostly with the tiny Dutch.

A smaller roosting bar is definitely a good idea 👍. Mine only have about 1.25 “ square and 1.5 • 1” with rounded edges. A roost hight about 20” is great. If it suits you, a high perch with a step or ladder is no problem.

If you make a run I would add strong netting or hwc on top or make a hoop run, for two reasons; because the elegant bantans often fly up-to 2 meter high and escape from most runs and strong netting or hwc is also a good thing against birds of prey and climbing predators. But many bantams are also good in free ranging if you have a garden with lots of bushes and hiding places.
Best check the breed characteristics before buying.

My ramp is a simple, not slippery plank.

Back
Top Bottom