Skin Cancer on my goat *Update*

Love my Critters!

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Carlsbad, NM
I think my 3 1/2 year old nigerion goat has skin cancer around her anus. I think it is "squamous cell carcinoma" from doing research on the internet. The white/light colored goats with pink skin that live in a hot dry and windy climate are most likely to get it. Well my doe had a growth that looks like cauliflower and it has blood supply. Other than this she seems to be fine. Does anyone have experience with this? I will try to post a picture tonight when I get home. The only treatments I've read are long and drawn out of a 6 to 8 week period of time. I simply can't afford to do that much treatment. I plan on having a vet come and check her and see if that is really what it is but the only large animal vet in this area just got out of vet school 2 years ago so she doesn't seem to have a lot of experience. Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have that same cancer. It can be removed in 15mins. I have had many surgeries. Some needed grafs. The area you mentioned should be easy. Keep it clean afterward and he will be fine.

6-8 week treatments sounds like radiation. I did it and every spot that was treated returned. Surgery is what you want. If he can do a MOS surgery that is best. After removing the affected area they test it for cancer cells to be sure they got it all. If not most times they do anyway.

Thank you for your reply, The long drawn out treatments were also about "freezing" the tumor. One article I read said that you have to catch it really early before the cancer cells enter "into" the animals body. I'm not sure how long she has had this because until now it wasn't big and I normally don't inspect that area of my goats (although now I know I should have). My main concern for "surgery" is how close the tumor is to the anus, I don't want to mess up her muscle tone (sphincter).

Last edited:
I hope that it is something else, not SCC. SC tumors the size of a pea or even smaller in that area can have already possibly penetrated a vessel wall or intestinal wall, advancing the stage. Depending on the stage, treatment is long, painful, slow to heal, and doesn't have much of a positive outcome.

SCC in the same area is the cancer that took Farrah Fawcett. With humans, stage 1 and on is first treated with chemo and radiation to try to shrink the tumor before any surgery is done. Surgery for tumors that have went beyond more than skin deep or are close to or have penetrated the margin or bowel, often result in sphincter damage, resulting in the need for a resection.

Hoping you can get the vet out soon to biopsy, and I'm hoping the best for your goat.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your goat. There was someone on Backyard herds who had a goat with this. It was just a small spot at first, then they bred her and it exploded. After she kidded, they had to euthanize her. I hope your goat does okay with this. So very sorry.
hugs.gif

oh Yikes! I looked on BYH and my goat's growth doesn't look that angry but that does seem to be just like my doe. I think my doe's growth is between her vulva and anus, but I was unable to investigate yesterday. It was my DH's birthday and I have to have him hold her because she doesn't like me cleaning it or looking at it.

I'd say it's wise to have that young vet out. If anything, she can look up treatments and who knows - maybe not charge you as much since she's so new! Afterall, everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom