skin color gene

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
ok I mentioned it in another thread but how would one go about getting the black skin of a silkie on a larger mixed bird? Would I just breed silkie roo with a larger chicken and then breed those that come out with black skin and so on? I am sure it is much more complicated, how is the skin color gene carried how often does it get passed down?

Last edited:
whats the aim of the project? Are you trying to breed giant silkies?
cool.png

Hi!
Yes, the first cross to a Silkie will work (unless you have another dark-skinned breed to work with) --- a percentage of those chicks will be dark-skinned.
Then just keep on crossing those dark-skinned off-spring back to *whatever breed* til you get the size and other traits you want to see.
Good luck and have fun!
smile.png

Lisa

335587845.jpg

Last edited:
yes I would love giant silkies lol Really I would like to work on a breed for processing that has the black skin like the silkies but on a bigger frame. does that make me horrible
hmm.png

The first cross will give dark skinned pullets & light skinned cockerels. Don't cull all the cockerels as they are carrying the dark skin gene.
Mate brother & sister, and/or cockerel back to Silkie.
There is a dark skinned/fleshed broiler breed called the Ac
David

What is this (AC) breed you are talking about??? Anyone have pictures? Now, you have me interested. I really like the dark skinned birds myself---- but--- not for eating!!! Tell us or show us these (AC) birds. I can't wait !!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom