skinning or plucking

rypie13

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
As posted earlier we are having our corn x dieing on us and we need to process them earlier than we were expecting. We are wondering the advantages of skinning the bird over plucking (if there are any?) Thanks for this forum it sure has been a life saver for us

well I plucked my turkey sunday since I don't know how to skin. I cooked it last night and for some reason didnt dare eat the skin
hmm.png
. So guess I wasted alot of time plucking. I think people say skinning is quicker.

If your going to freeze any birds keep the skin on. It will help protect meat from freezer burn.
We do 50 each year. You can take the skin off when you cook it.

I am going to quote, I believe it was, Greyfields on this one....

"Chicken skin is proof God loves us...."

AMEN.

Last edited:
they will be 8 weeks on Friday. The last one that died yesterday weighed 8 lbs. live weight.

Depending on the amount of time I have and what I plan on doing with the meat will I choose between skinning or plucking. If it's going to be for a whole bird roaster, plucked. For cut up bbq (unless it is split in half), crock pot, fried, double dip etc, skinned. The wings are a different story, always plucked.

I use a pair of kitchen shears to skin the Cornish X's. It is SOOOOO easy. I start at the neck and cut to the tail bone and the skin just falls away. It is trickier around the wings but this is much easier than plucking. Good Luck !!

Back
Top Bottom