Skinny chickens?`

equi

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 21, 2011
Hi, i picked a few of my hens up today and they seem kinda skinny to me? I'm not exactly sure how a chicken is supposed to be but to me it felt very lean and i could feel the chest bone and no fat around the sides and minimal fat on the thigh. They have always got food, the trough has never ran out. I feed them on a mix of laying pellets and corn mix which is all mixed in together. They have grit and water and get veggies every now and then.

Any ideas? (there are 4 hens by the way laying 3-5 eggs a day)

Heavy laying production breeds will always feel thin. It's also worse for the health of a hen to be fat than thin. If combs are nice and red , sounds like egg production is good, I wouldn't worry. If worms were stealing enough nutrition to make a difference, first thing to drop would be egg production.
Ever seena fat dairy cow? Same thing. All calories go into producing.

Quote:
Good point. I've always seemed to have thin hens. When I pick them up, I can feel their breast bone quite well. They are wormed about twice a year, are looked over regularly for mites, have healthy looking feathers and combs, have 24/7 access to layer feed, freerange, get BOSS and a little corn. Most of my breeds are large fowl known for good egg producion. I've always wondered why they feel thin. This explains it.

I think it is just because they are laying hens then! I think they are sussex and something else, not sure. I just got laying hens
hmm.png
They got wormed as soon as i got them (about 2 months ago) and dont seem to have mites. They are healthy and very active so i will stop worrying about them
big_smile.png

I have t
Good point. I've always seemed to have thin hens. When I pick them up, I can feel their breast bone quite well. They are wormed about twice a year, are looked over regularly for mites, have healthy looking feathers and combs,  have 24/7 access to layer feed, freerange, get BOSS and a little corn. Most of my breeds are large fowl known for good egg producion. I've always wondered why they feel thin. This explains it.
he same problem I have 4 2 month old orpeys and they have gotten thin and the stink pretty bad HELP!

Back
Top Bottom