1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Skinny chickens?`

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by equi, Dec 29, 2011.

1. equi

equi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Hi, i picked a few of my hens up today and they seem kinda skinny to me? I'm not exactly sure how a chicken is supposed to be but to me it felt very lean and i could feel the chest bone and no fat around the sides and minimal fat on the thigh. They have always got food, the trough has never ran out. I feed them on a mix of laying pellets and corn mix which is all mixed in together. They have grit and water and get veggies every now and then.

Any ideas? (there are 4 hens by the way laying 3-5 eggs a day)

2. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    I'd drop the corn from your mix -- it's 'candy' and should only be used as a treat (in my opinion)

3. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    What breed are they?

You may want to try and worm them, just in case.

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Heavy laying production breeds will always feel thin. It's also worse for the health of a hen to be fat than thin. If combs are nice and red , sounds like egg production is good, I wouldn't worry. If worms were stealing enough nutrition to make a difference, first thing to drop would be egg production.
    Ever seena fat dairy cow? Same thing. All calories go into producing.

5. gronsk

gronsk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2010
    SE MA
    What breed are they?

6. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm wondering what breed they are as well. Thais, Malays, Mod. Games, etc. are naturally more lean. Short of knowing the breed, I'd suggest looking for mites.

7. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Good point. I've always seemed to have thin hens. When I pick them up, I can feel their breast bone quite well. They are wormed about twice a year, are looked over regularly for mites, have healthy looking feathers and combs, have 24/7 access to layer feed, freerange, get BOSS and a little corn. Most of my breeds are large fowl known for good egg producion. I've always wondered why they feel thin. This explains it.

8. equi

equi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    I think it is just because they are laying hens then! I think they are sussex and something else, not sure. I just got laying hens [​IMG] They got wormed as soon as i got them (about 2 months ago) and dont seem to have mites. They are healthy and very active so i will stop worrying about them [​IMG]

9. cluck n stuff

cluck n stuff Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    Iola,Wi
    My Coop
    I have t
    he same problem I have 4 2 month old orpeys and they have gotten thin and the stink pretty bad HELP!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by