Brand new to chickens

Sighttosea

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2023
Hi there
I have two 7 month old girls from TSC. Several issues /questions...They are laying eggs but some eggs have a quite soft shell, it is shell but when I crack them open they are softish. I have grit out for them and feeding layer pellets.
Also they are skinny ( I can feel the breast bone) and act like they are starved, but I am putting out probably a quart of pellets a day for them. I also give them egg shell, and veggies from cooking the night before. They also have some access to gamebird grower finisher sometimes. the free range during the day in a 50 X 50 yard.
I have Safeguard on hand for my dogs ( dog breeder/trainer). What is the dosage? and how do you administer. I also have on hand probiotics and vitamins from my pigeons.
Thanks for any advice!!

Welcome to the flock!
Feed them calcium either by way of oyster shell of their own egg shell crushed up. That is why they have soft shells. Make sure there is nothing around that is harmful for your birds to eat(a google search will tell most of the things) fresh clean water and good feed not the producers pride brand it’s no good. My girls enjoy beans and corn and of course Black Soldier Fly Larvae.
Good luck!

Welcome to the flock!
Feed them calcium either by way of oyster shell of their own egg shell crushed up. That is why they have soft shells. Make sure there is nothing around that is harmful for your birds to eat(a google search will tell most of the things) fresh clean water and good feed not the producers pride brand it’s no good. My girls enjoy beans and corn and of course Black Soldier Fly Larvae.
Good luck!
My birds love corn too

This last summer we gave them frozen watermelon, zucchini and corn from the garden. It kept them hydrated and oh so happy! 😀 this fall we have been coring and freezing apples. They seem to enjoy the apple peelings. What is really cute is they will grab a fallen apple and run away from the rest with it in their beaks. It’s like “ladies, there are enough apples so everyone can have their own”. Surprisingly, they don’t listen too terribly well. 😂🤣

ditto to @rosemarythyme More than likely with time they'll figure things out but the most assured way to help them thrive expedite the process laying bigger more developed eggs is to give them a strict pellet/crumble diet. While we all love the idea of snacks and the "happiness" we see them have for it...the formulated feed is formulated to give them 100% of what they actually need. Kind of like my 2 year old daughter who would fill herself up on dried mango and pears (today's go to) if given the chance.

This last summer we gave them frozen watermelon, zucchini and corn from the garden. It kept them hydrated and oh so happy! 😀 this fall we have been coring and freezing apples. They seem to enjoy the apple peelings. What is really cute is they will grab a fallen apple and run away from the rest with it in their beaks. It’s like “ladies, there are enough apples so everyone can have their own”. Surprisingly, they don’t listen too terribly well. 😂🤣
I tried giving my birds apple peels once. They didn't eat it! 🤣

right now they are getting two egg shells a day, there are two birds. is that enough ?

No. It takes more than that to make a new egg shell. Even with the layer pellets and added egg shells they should have oyster shell available in a separate dish at all times.

What breed are they?
Some breeds are naturally very lean.

Are wild critters eating their feed?
A quart a day is more than enough for 2 birds.
Is it in a feeder or scattered on the ground?

Back
Top Bottom