Skinny hen, watery poop

Honora

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Cavan, Ireland
Hi all,

I have an EE hen who is about a year old and she has been steadily losing weight for the last few months. She is eating and drinking normally, behaving normally. I brought her to the vet and he couldn't find anything wrong with her.

Her poop is watery and kind of whitish, could this be worms?

Thanks!

There are many illnesses that chickens can get. Did your vet do faecal count? If you have not wormed her in the past , then yes it is time to worm her. Best to worm first with wazine then follow up 10 days later with safeguard or valbazen . Is she still laying ? Is her vent area clean and what colour is her comb ? Perhaps you could post a pic . This thread will give you an idea of a ' normal ' poop.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

Nope, the vet did not do any fecal testing. Here is a picture of her poop.

I have never wormed her; where do you get the medication? Feed stores? Thanks for the poop link; that one is more helpful than the poop chart I have seen before.

She is laying normally, vent clean & she looks normal. Just thin & getting thinner.

She eats layer pellets with some table scraps, also free ranges in my yard most of the time so she eats a lot of grass.

Her crop is mushy but the vet didn't seem concerned about it. ? It is emptying normally. She looks normal to me, just thin, I'll try and get a picture of her at some point.

Not sure what the protein level is in the feed but the other hen who is eating it is nice & fat.

Last edited:
Her crop is mushy but the vet didn't seem concerned about it. ? It is emptying normally. She looks normal to me, just thin,  I'll try and get a picture of her at some point.  

Not sure what the protein level is in the feed but the other hen who is eating it is nice & fat. 

If all else is well then the best place to start is worming her. You will need to worm them all once then again in 10 days time to get any hatching lavae.

Back
Top Bottom