Skinny Hens?

Gracefulspice

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Pa
I just got these 2 new hens. How do ya tell if they are skinny? They are RIR. They feel lighter and are more bony they my Orpingtons and Astrulorps. They also seem to want to hord around the feed bin. They go out and pick some....but come right back to the feed and constantly seem to want to eat that. I know the people I got them from only feed once a day. How much I don't know. But mabey they are not used to have the food supplied all day? Plus I did see one wait till another hen laid an egg and started to peck at it as soon as it was avaible. And I did find a Broken one earlier, I was only gone for about 30 min. Can I give these 2 hens a supplement of some kind? Or just give it time?
hu.gif

Any sujestions would be great.

you could buy a feeder from a local feed store and always keep feed in there for them. when they get hungry they will eat until they get full. This should get them up to the right weight.

Yes, I do have food out for them all day. The new hens just don't seem to be able to eat enough. Absolute little piggys they are. I hope it doesn't take long for them to gain the weight they need.
hmm.png

Hold off on the electrolytes if these girls appear to be fine in every other way than their huge appetite. The people who had the birds before were not following a good feeding program by only feeding once a day. At some point your new girls may realize that the feed will always be there and they don't have to pig out all at once. Make certain they have plenty of fresh water because they are liable to drink more while they're figuring out the feeding routine.

I think I will worm them. I know I've seen all of them pulling earth worms from the ground and eating them. And I guess there's no way to stop them from doing that.
duc.gif
So even if their not wormy, I guess they could be soon. Plus it couldn't hurt. Thanks for the Info.
hugs.gif

Let them eat earthworms it won't hurt them. The worms that affect them are round worms or pin worms. I just got some new hens and noticed one of the pooped a worm out when i got her home so they all got wormed. Is there any way you can separate the skinny hens from the rest of the flock and try feeding them some high protein feed? If I get skinny birds I feed them meat bird feed it has more protein in it.

Last edited:
My hens are super skinny right now.(I just noticed) Does food intake usually go up in spring? Some are molting. Should i leave food out all the time till they look better? I feel really bad, I am a once a day feeder and it has been enough, but right now they look pitiful. Help!

Back
Top Bottom