Skittish Cortunix

sbw82

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2015
I have never owned birds before so I asking for some help and or suggestions. I bought 11 Cortunix 1 week ago...8 females and 3 males. They are all in a pen together that's 4 x 3 feet. The first 3 days I got 4 eggs. I haven't gotten any eggs since. 4 days ago I started adding light a couple of hours before sun up and a couple after sun down. Recently I have noticed that they will for no reason just start getting jumpy for a minute or so....jumping all over the place, trying to fly and nd one of the hens starts pecking at any bird that gets close to her while this is going on. Any ideas why they would get jumpy? Or is this typical behavior? And one of my boys talked me into trying to hatch the 4 eggs so I have that going on now too!

I have never owned birds before so I asking for some help and or suggestions.  I bought 11 Cortunix 1 week ago...8 females and 3 males.  They are all in a pen together that's 4 x 3 feet.  The first 3 days I got 4 eggs.  I haven't gotten any eggs since.  4 days ago I started adding light a couple of hours before sun up and a couple after sun down.  Recently I have noticed that they will for no reason just start getting jumpy for a minute or so....jumping all over the place, trying to fly and nd one of the hens starts pecking at any bird that gets close to her while this is going on.  Any ideas why they would get jumpy?  Or is this typical behavior?  And one of my boys talked me into trying to hatch the 4 eggs so I have that going on now too! 

It takes a few weeks for them to adjust to a new environment. Keep the area as calm/quiet as possible and they will soon settle down. Birds feed on each other's fear- when one is frightened the rest will be too. You will soon be getting more eggs. Good luck with the four.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom